Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After burning a slideshow from iPhoto export to a DVD, it will not play on my DVD player OS X 10.9.4

iMac 27' OS X 10.9.4 I burned a slideshow from iPhoto export to a DVD and now it will not play back on anything. The player said Unknown disc. What can i do?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), up grade

Posted on Aug 28, 2014 3:52 PM

32 replies

Aug 28, 2014 8:00 PM in response to tbirdvet

I am not sure about the current version of iPhoto on Mavericks, but with previous versions of iPhoto, if you just use iPhoto, alone, to create the DVD/MPEG movie that was playable on a standard DVD player, the resolution of the photos in the slideshow are not of very high resolution. Especially with today's higher resolution TVs.

WIth iDVD or Roxio Toast, you have options to export and author the resulting MPEG movie to much better, higher resolutions for displaying on larger screen TVs.

Aug 28, 2014 8:04 PM in response to MichelPM

MichelPM wrote:

I am not sure about the current version of iPhoto on Mavericks, but with previous versions of iPhoto, if you just user iPhoto to create the DVD/MPEG movie

This (creating a standard, playable DVD) was not possible with any version of iPhoto.

You needed to send the slideshow/pix to iDVD then burn a standard, playable DVD.

Aug 28, 2014 10:03 PM in response to Chris CA

I am back and forth between Snow Leopard and Mavericks.

For Snow Leopard and earlier, most of the time I use iDVD because of the menu/presentation themes, but for quick and dirty, just "git 'er done, DVD slideshow, I use Roxio Toast Titanium.

I know past versions of iPhoto, alone, couldn't create a DVD player readable disc version without rendering/authoring the data first using a DVD authoring program.

Is this no longer true with the new 64 bit Mavericks version of iPhoto? I have created copies of my iPhoto library and I updated to the new Mavericks version of iPhoto and had it update one of those iPhoto library copies, but I haven't tried to create a slideshow on DVD with this updated iPhoto version, yet.

Aug 29, 2014 7:50 AM in response to raymond e.

raymond e. wrote:

version is 9.5.1 (902.17) this is how it came. Right out the box. No other software. Sorry for being so slow.

Since your version is newer than 9.5, you can't use it to author/burn directly - as MichelPM said, you will need authoring/ burn software such as iDVD or Roxio Toast. There are also some other basic apps such as Burn which may or may not be good enough for your needs. You'll need to export your slideshow from iPhoto and then use the burn software for the final step.

Aug 29, 2014 7:56 AM in response to tbirdvet

I do find that using one of these programs will reduce the sharpness of the photos.

Granted, I've never used iPhoto - I use Photo to Movie for slideshows and various versions of iMovie for videos, but my pics are excellent quality and my videos are shot in 1080p (better camera) or 720p (small camera) and the results are superb on my TV using both iDVD and Toast. However, I do not encode in iDVD, I simply use it to add a theme and menus. The encoding is done by Photo to Movie, or iMovie 06 HD (the only version ever to process losslessly) and either/both are imported into iDVD as a complete .mov, or Toast.

Since using those methods, I've never had a problem with the sharpness or crispness of my footage. My eyes cannot discern a difference between my "production" and true HD (unless of course I shook the camera while shooting, LOL).

Aug 29, 2014 9:43 AM in response to babowa

Since your version is newer than 9.5, you can't use it to author/burn directly

Again, to clarify: no version of iPhoto can or could author a DVD for use in a domestic DVD player. All it could ever do was burn a mini-iPhoto library to an optical disk. Latest versions no longer do that either.

However, I do not encode in iDVD, I simply use it to add a theme and menus.

Authoring a DVD whether in iDVD, Toast or any other app involves encoding. You .mov file is encoded to a VOB and that too involves compression.

After burning a slideshow from iPhoto export to a DVD, it will not play on my DVD player OS X 10.9.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.