Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Google Reverted to Old Layout

Earlier today (8/28/2014), Google, my homepage, reverted back to the old layout. Images attached to show you what I mean. All I remember doing was logging in to my computer from it being in a state of sleep. I would like to go back to the new layout.

I have tried:

• restarting computer
  • quit and re-open safari
  • reset safari
  • checking other browsers (firefox is fine; don't have other browsers on my computer; no one else in my house/network is having this trouble)
  • research (google search, google forums, apple forums)

Other people are having similar trouble. See link: https://productforums.google.com/d/msg/chrome/EVLc3z5pcB8/lliYVZwiZesJ. Unfortunately, they are using a different browser and no one has an answer for my particular issue.

Any suggestions?

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), Mac OS X (10.6.8), Safari 5.1.10

Posted on Aug 28, 2014 10:38 PM

62 replies

Aug 29, 2014 6:26 PM in response to royallaura13

I have the same problem (using Snow Leopard 10.6.8). It just started today, I'm hoping it's a google thing and not a safari thing. I tried looking for safari updates, and tried restarting my comp/safari and resetting safari and it doesn't seem to have worked. Hopefully this will be fixed by tomorrow -- I didn't realize how annoying the old version of Google was.

Aug 30, 2014 6:45 AM in response to royallaura13

Issue seems to be buzzing over the web now - also in the USA.

Found the below on Google's own product site.

It worked for me - the current version of Google is restored, but if you 'reset' safari it goes back to the old version again.

Looks like a google issue not an iMac/Apple issues - guess Google will either resolve or we will need to update Safari or possibly Snow Leopard OS to Lion or Mavericks ?? (which I don't want to do / not sure if I can do on my 2010 iMac)

Link is:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!search/google$20homepage$20had$20reve rted$20to$20old/websearch/hEVDmDw8ccU%5B1-25-true%5D

Text below:

MadFranko008 Level 3

Here's the solution for Safari 5.1.10 on a Mac using Snow Leopard

If you haven't set up Safari to have the "Devlop" menu available then you'll have to do that first by doing this (shown in the first pic)...

1: Select the menu Safari/ Preferences and then select "Advanced" in the preferences window. Tick/ select the item at the bottom of the window labelled "Show Develop Menu In Menu Bar" (see first picture)

Now in the Safari menu bar you will have a menu called "Develop"...

Go to the "Devlop" menu and from the options pick "User Agent" and then "Other"...

This will open up a window as shown in picture 3 where you must now cut & paste the following line (or type it in)...

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/31.0

Click on "Ok"...

You should now have got rid of the old style Google look and it should be back to the new look. The only thing you will notice is some layouts will look a bit different but for the time being and until Google fixes this problem you at least have the "new look" back... :-)

Aug 30, 2014 12:09 PM in response to royallaura13

Same thing happening to me. Google images reverted to old basic version in Safari. Images are working properly in Firefox and other browsers. In Firefox at the bottom of the page it has a link to "Switch to basic version" so I would think there would be a link at the bottom of the Safari page saying "switch to standard version" but there isn't. This happened without me changing any settings. Clearing cache, resetting Safari does nothing. Very frustrating!

Aug 30, 2014 1:19 PM in response to royallaura13

the fact that we did nothing and changed nothing, and it worked fine for us on Safari 2 days ago, for years, is a disgrace on Google's part.

Why should I upgrade my OS just for Google? Safari is as high as it goes on SL 10.6.8, and It's done the job OK.

Google should hang their heads in shame if this is not going to be sorted out. What a joke. I bet they'd do it for Windows users

Google Reverted to Old Layout

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.