Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari Alert Suspicious Activity

User uploaded file

I got this today when clicking a picture link in a online sport magazine, Safari frozen, so I called to the supposed Support for Apple toll free number and they re-directed and connected me to a TECH CARE LIVE INC. (online technicians) who charge me $169 to solve and clean up my computer online. Was this a scam? if so here is their phone number and e-mail:

1-855-245-1262 support@techcarelive.com so Apple can take corrective actions and stop it.

Appreciate any advise

Posted on Sep 4, 2014 1:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2014 2:12 PM

It's a scam.

Can you still use Safari ok?

Apple's toll free number in the U.S is: 1-800-275-2273

Apple never sends email such as the one you received. Nor will they send you an email to verify your Apple ID credentials.

I sincerely hope you did not give then your credit card payment information.

In the future, if you receive an actual email asking to verify your Apple ID or call a tech support number, please forward that email to: reportphishing@apple.com

That way Apple has a record of it.

29 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2014 2:12 PM in response to Wana1

It's a scam.

Can you still use Safari ok?

Apple's toll free number in the U.S is: 1-800-275-2273

Apple never sends email such as the one you received. Nor will they send you an email to verify your Apple ID credentials.

I sincerely hope you did not give then your credit card payment information.

In the future, if you receive an actual email asking to verify your Apple ID or call a tech support number, please forward that email to: reportphishing@apple.com

That way Apple has a record of it.

Sep 4, 2014 2:04 PM in response to Wana1

If you have divulged your credit card info to these scammers, immediately contact your bank to determine what next steps to take regarding a replacement card. Depending on what they may have done to "fix" your computer, measures may need to be taken to take care of those issues. Hopefully some of the knowledgeable folks on the forum will drop by your thread.

Sep 4, 2014 2:26 PM in response to stedman1

This is what I could see they did: First they performed a diagnostic and showed me a "Terminal" display with my local address and a "foreign address" meaning that somebody actually hijacked my computer and could have access to my personal information or "footprints" then they went to Disk Utility>Verify/Repair Permissions, then installed the app CCleanner for mac from "Piriform Ltd.", performed a clean up, and finally they had me to sign a service form/agreement and said that will give me one year warranty for their services.

Sep 10, 2014 1:56 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Carolyn:

I performed a "Recover of my Entire System" using a Time Machine Back I had form, two days before i let them to remotely access my mac, following the advise of Linc Davis clicking recover the entire system on this link:

Re: detect recent installed unauthorized remote control applications

I feel more relaxed now knowing that the above procedure erased everything on my hard disk before restoring all my System information from two days before the "attack".

Oct 18, 2014 4:20 PM in response to Wana1

Boy is it a SCAM!

I have since reported this to Apple and my Bank. The bank told me they would refund my money. How did I fall for this?

They scanned my computer, transferred me to someone who loaded CCleaner, and moved the cursor around a lot. I won't fall for that one again.

Since then I did a 7-Pass Erase of my hard drive. I probably didn't need to do that, but I feel safe now. Also I cancelled my credit card and got a new one.

I believe how they are getting away with it, is that they are mincing words. They are saying: "We are the technical support for apple." They are using Apple as a verb and not a noun. I spoke to a officer at the FBI and he told me they are currently being investigated. ***** it couldn't be faster.

Michael

Oct 25, 2014 12:14 PM in response to Wana1

I had the same problem today, I check whith my other computer, and I see that, it was a screw (rob). I disconnect my Internet, I clean the history of Safari and I put a other direction on Safari. When I put Internet my last direction was on and no frozen more.

There where very good organisation, they sent back message to your phone etc.

Safari Alert Suspicious Activity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.