Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i get rid of nsa virus

How do I get rid of the nsa malware/virus?

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Sep 6, 2014 6:00 AM

17 replies

Sep 6, 2014 7:31 AM in response to margaret12567

Please post a screenshot that illustrates what you are experiencing:

Screenshots (Mac):

To take a screenshot hold ⌘ Shift 4 to create a selection crosshair. Click and hold while you drag the crosshair over the area you wish to capture and then release the mouse or trackpad. You will hear a "camera shutter" sound. This will deposit a screenshot named "Screen Shot...." followed by a date and time on your Desktop.

When you post your response, click the "camera" icon above the text field.

This will display a dialog box which enables you to choose the screenshot file (remember it's on your Desktop) and click the Insert Image button. If you are not using full screen mode you can simply drag the image into the text entry field.

⌘ Shift 4 and then pressing the space bar captures the frontmost window.

⌘ Shift 3 captures the entire screen.

Don't capture or upload any information you consider personal. To edit an existing screenshot, read How to edit a screenshot.

Drag the screenshot to the Trash after you post your reply.

Sep 6, 2014 6:03 PM in response to margaret12567

If Safari is working OK for you, there is no reason for concern. It's not a virus. It's simply a scam web page created in a pathetic attempt to defraud gullible users into paying a "ransom" to unlock Safari, which might not work even if you paid. They are very common and can be created by anyone, anywhere on Earth, in minutes.

Holding a Shift key when re-launching Safari causes it to load only your chosen Home page. Otherwise, its default behavior is to reload all previously loaded pages, which would include the scam website.

To remove any code potentially left behind by the scam website, go to the Safari menu > Preferences > Privacy, and select Remove All Website Data... > Remove Now.

You will need to sign in again with all websites that require authentication (such as this one).

Sep 7, 2014 10:19 AM in response to looper723

I got this problem last night and was pretty panicked because I couldn't quite Safari and I couldn't shut down. Finally pulled the plug in deperation and it came back on start-up. Finally got a fix:

force shutdown of Safari: Option+command+esc

reset Safari

The responses given so far are less painful than the above, so if they work for you, go for it. If not, try the above.

how do i get rid of nsa virus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.