Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 Contract Free/T-Mobile?

The iPhone 6 will launch in USA with the usual carriers but I am going to Florida on holiday next week all the way from sunny England. My plan was to purchase the $650 iPhone 6 Contract free option so that I could simply place my Three Network sim inside and then just use it as normal. My question is this; When using the US Apple Store website the iPhone 6 'Contract Free' option is labelled as 'T-Mobile', will it come unlocked to any network, or will it be locked to T-Mobile?

Thanks

A concerned Brit!

iPhone 4, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Sep 10, 2014 1:53 AM

77 replies

Sep 10, 2014 8:12 AM in response to Kai Brinker

I do agree with you that there's a risk and people should not assume that "contract-free" equals "unlocked" but the info regarding the 5S is incorrect, i bought 2 of those and both came with the T-Mobile sim AND unlocked . they worked just fine with AT&T's sim.

Since i'm not in the US right now i can't check with apple with a "contract free" phone could be used with a local carrier sim, If someone that is in the us right now could check this the question would be solved

Sep 11, 2014 11:12 AM in response to Gavin1986Xd

I'm in a similar position to you, although I reside in the US and have an o2 sim card. This might answer your questions:

Hi there! My name is Jemiella. What can I do for you?

Hello, I reside in the US and have a t-mobile sim. I also travel to the UK and have an o2 sim. Is the contract free iPhone 6 unlocked to all networks? Will I be able to use both sim cards in the iPhone 6. Also, what model number is the iPhone 6

It is not. The T-Mobile iPhone is locked to T-Mobile, and you must get in contact with them in regards to unlocking as that is at their discretion.

At this time, there is not a date available for the unlocked iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus.

Please check back on the Apple Online Store or visit your local Apple Retail Store for additional details on unlocked iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus availability.

The model numbers for the iPhone 6 is A1549!

OK, Thought so. Thanks for your help

Totally meant "number" there. Accidentally added that s!

Sep 11, 2014 2:37 PM in response to Mad Scotsman 1

As the phone in the US cannot be bought fully unlocked, I'm prepared to wait. More and more answers will come out with what model works where.

Using myself as an example:

I have a T-Mobile US sim and the LTE bands supported here are 4 and 12. My o2 UK Sim is LTE band 20

If you look at the LTE reference, both band 4 and 20 are supported by each model (A1549 GSM for the US, and A1586 for the UK)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks#Europe

If I were to buy the A1549 iPhone 6 in the US, I would expect this to work on my o2 network in the UK

Sep 12, 2014 10:23 AM in response to yourboyluke

Over that chat I am also being told that it is T-Mobile locked, but on contacting over the phone they are saying its an unlocked version. I don't live in US but

from someone I got to know that T-Mobile "no contract" Apple currently lists unlocked versions as “T-Mobile Contract-free”. However, the wording they are using is fishy and is not very clear. Simply confusing

iPhone 6 Contract Free/T-Mobile?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.