Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 contract-free

Does anybody know if the t-Mobile contract-free of iPhone 6 is the same thing of an unlocked iPhone? Cause I'm from Brazil and I wanna pre-order an iPhone 6 for me, but I'm not sure if it will work here in Brazil, cause we don't have t-Mobile here and I don't know if the contract-free will only work with the t-Moblie SIM card or if it support all carriers.

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Sep 10, 2014 8:09 PM

21 replies

Sep 10, 2014 8:36 PM in response to Christos3Gs

Here is the info on the T-Mobile version from the Apple page for iPhone 6:

If you have selected an iPhone for T-Mobile, it will come with the appropriate nano-SIM, but you will need to contact T-Mobile or visit an Apple Retail Store to activate your iPhone. If you have selected an unlocked GSM phone, you can insert your own nano-SIM card or obtain one from the supported GSM carrier of your choice and activate it in order to use your iPhone.

Although the T-Mobile device is contract-free, it is not unlocked. It will have to be activated through T-Mobile or at an Apple Store (in the US).

If you want an unlocked device, you will have to wait until it is made available.

Cheers,

GB

Sep 10, 2014 8:44 PM in response to matheuszanella

Check this out http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/
If you see the model number for brazil of 5s/c you can see the bands that needs.And if you see the models of iPhone 6/6 plus you can see that the bands you want is in all models.You want bands 1 2 3 4 5 7 8 20.So i think they will work.
These are the previous models for 5s

• A1533 or A1457 or A1530: iPhone 5s (GSM model)
  • A1533 or A1453: iPhone 5s (CDMA model)
  • A1518 or A1528 or A1530: iPhone 5s (GSM model China)
    The 3 GSM models all have the bands 1 2 3 4 5 7 8 20 and they are for our countries (Brazil and Greece)
    I hope i am not wrong 😕😕

Sep 10, 2014 8:50 PM in response to gail from maine

You said 'Although the T-Mobile device is contract-free, it is not unlocked. It will have to be activated through T-Mobile or at an Apple Store (in the US)' .You saw it somewhere or you think is that way???
And what do you mean available.My friend is going to visit us so he will go to a store himself.Do you think that he can buy an unlocked if he ask for it??

Sep 10, 2014 9:09 PM in response to Christos3Gs

What I posted is directly from the Apple information page for the iPhone 6 (cut and pasted). So, I don't think it is that way, it is directly from the horse's mouth, so to speak....

Here is the link to the page:

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-iphone/iphone6

And what I mean by when it is available is just that - an unlocked version of the iPhone 6 is not available via the pre-orders online. However, since the person will be in the store, then the part about "will have to be activated through T-Mobile or at an Apple Store" would take care of the issue. It is a GSM phone, just so you know. You cannot use it on a CDMA network.

But, as Templeton Peck advised - iPhone warranties are not International, so you will not be able to get any warranty service anywhere except in the US.

Cheers,

GB

Sep 15, 2014 11:47 PM in response to matheuszanella

According to Apple Chat line, the US Apple Store T mobile contract free phone 6 is unlocked and can be used with any GSM carrier. That is what the Apple guy told me during the chat 2 nights ago. I specifically asked about unlocking vs contract free and he explicitly stated that it is unlocked. However I have seen contradictory information on CNET and Apple discussion threads. The model number A1586 for the unlocked phone according to the Apple chat support I had. I guess I will call them to confirm this or wait and see!

Sep 16, 2014 11:59 PM in response to Clement Singarajah

I don't live in the US and i can't get help from the Apple Chat line.In some forums i have read that you need to use T-mobile with one contract and a small fee for seven days and then you call them and they unlock your phone.Can you ask if you buy it from an apple store in US can work in other countries??Specifically i live in Greece.!!If you can do this it would be very helpful for me..!!

Sep 17, 2014 12:06 AM in response to Christos3Gs

If you live in Greece then buy your phone in Greece. If you buy it in Greece, then you have full EU warranty for the phone, whereas from the US the warranty is just the US and nowhere else, so you are stuffed if anything goes wrong with the phone, as iPhone warranty is not international.

You will also have a phone that is fully compatible with Greek networks - a US phone will not be.

Sep 17, 2014 12:12 AM in response to Christos3Gs

Sorry I don't know for sure but this link may be useful to see what might work in various countries at least as far as LTE cellular bands go. I have seen what you saw about a small fee....

https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

Here is information from the Apple website about international use - hope it is useful

"Can I use an iPhone when traveling internationally?

iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, and iPhone 5c are world phones, so you can use them almost anywhere. Whether you are a GSM or CDMA network customer, you can roam internationally on GSM networks around the world. AT&T customers can roam in over 225 countries. T-Mobile customers can roam in over 200 countries. Sprint customers can roam in over 200 countries. Verizon Wireless customers can roam in over 200 countries. Availability of LTE data varies in some countries and depends on carrier support for certain LTE radio frequencies. Contact your wireless carrier for more information regarding international roaming policies and rates."

Here is the information about the cellular bands on the iPhone 6

User uploaded file

iPhone 6 contract-free

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.