Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After iTunes 11.4 install no podcasts will download

In installed uTunes 11.4 on my MacBook Pro and my Mac Pro this week. My MacBook Pro is working fine. Now, I cannot download podcasts on my Mac Pro. I have verified that iTunes is set to check for new updates every hour. I also made sure that I have listened to all the available podcasts and there are none I have not listened to in a while so they would stop being downloaded. Both machines are running Mavericks with the latest fixes installed.

Any thoughts?

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Sep 12, 2014 9:02 AM

21 replies

Oct 1, 2014 4:27 AM in response to Brett L

If you'd read his actual message, rather that just typing a canned response, you'd see that refreshing the podcast does nothing. The only way I can get new episodes to show up in iTunes after the 11.4 update is to individually unsubscribe and then resubscribe to each podcast. Only then am I able to actually see or download the latest episode.

Oct 2, 2014 2:22 AM in response to Devrim

I think this might be a fairly new thing. I have stopped receiving updates to my subscribed podcasts this week. I tried unsubscribing and subscribing but that didn't work. I really get annoyed when "helpful" people send vanilla links which don't even address the issue.

Just to clarify for any people who might be reading this the problem is as follows:

1) For a period of about a month every podcast has been showing exclamation marks and has stopped updating until you manually click on the exclamation mark.

2) Starting September 26, 2014 all podcasts stopped updating altogether.

3) Attempted clicking on the refresh button for each and every podcast

4) Ten times

5) Unsubscribed all podcasts

6) Resubscribed all podcasts.

7) Unsubscribed all podcasts, shut down and rebooted computer

8) Resubscribed all podcasts

9) Unsubscribed all podcasts, shut down computer, power cycled ADSL modem

10) Resubscribed all podcasts

Result: Not one podcast is updating. At all

Oct 3, 2014 7:08 PM in response to Devrim

This discussion forum is actually sponsored by Apple so hopefully before long someone knowledgeable will weigh in on this and give us the magic key combination or ritual sacrifice to make the podcasts start downloading again. What surprises me is how few people seem to be experiencing this. Is it just us or are most people so blasé that they just take it on the chin?

Oct 4, 2014 7:07 PM in response to Jeff Billman

Hi Jeff, Are you getting podcasts now?

I just checked iTunes yesterday and it downloaded one podcast. Today I am getting two more. I don't know why they are dribbling in like this for me, usually I get the whole list refreshed each week. I wish I could tell you that I did something to make this happen but it seems to have started spontaneously.

Oct 6, 2014 8:42 AM in response to Jeff Billman

I have a different but related issue: I am running iTunes 11.4 on an iMac (Mid 2007) and OS 10.7.5. the podcast section of the iTunes Library often freezes up completely. Sometimes it is the spinning color wheel, sometimes it is just totally nonresponsive. Either way, I cannot do anything to change my podcast subscription/update/settings issues.

I am considering upgrading to Mavericks, but I am afraid that might introduce other problems considering my iMac is over 7 years old.

Oct 8, 2014 2:44 AM in response to ToddPadezanin

Hi Todd, I have a "heritage listed" mac as well but the good news is that when I moved to Mavericks it actually sped things up. I think they do a better job of handling the memory than they used to. Having said that I took my iMac to the local Apple store and got extra memory put in just for good measure.

Bottom line: Don't be afraid to upgrade to Mavericks. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Oct 9, 2014 4:51 PM in response to Jack42

I just upgraded to Mavericks. haven't done much else yet, but I did launch iTunes to check the Podcasts section. I am still having the same problems in hte Podcasts section of the Library - slow response, eventually freezing up completely. I have to force-quit iTunes, then restart, the quickly switch back to the Music Library before it freezes up all over again.

long/short - Mavericks did not solve this problem.

After iTunes 11.4 install no podcasts will download

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.