Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Won't forget wifi network and password

I'm staying in a hotel with multiple wifi speeds available, depending on how much you are willing to pay per day. I originally logged in at the free and slow level, entering my room number and last name to confirm. Then I found out that by joining the hotel's loyalty program I can get the fastest speed for free, but I can't get back to the login screen. I've gone into Network Prefs > Wifi Network > Advanced, to delete the network name off the list, but even after a restart, my MBP just logs right in at the slow level.

I've deleted all networks from the list and saved it, yet it just logs right back into the slow level. I looked all over Keychain and don't see anything relating to this network anywhere. Everything I try, my computer just keeps logging back into the slow level. The hotel has even deleted my login on their end, and somehow I just get right back into the slow level without entering my room number again. Where is this password and network info stored so I can delete it? Thanks.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Sep 12, 2014 8:54 AM

11 replies

Jun 22, 2017 6:51 PM in response to rawjer

The solution to this was easy. first tell IT to forget the network that you're on in the wireless settings.

Second, hold the power button until it asks you to shut down. Then hold the main Home button until the shut down image goes away.

Then open apps in the App Store, and tap any one of the buttons at the bottom 9 to 10 times in a row. They say this clears browser history's in cache settings.

Sep 12, 2014 2:31 PM in response to rawjer

Choose "Wi-Fi" in the left column of Network system preference. Use the padlock at lower-left to unlock.

Click "Advanced" button at bottom-right.

Select the "Wi-Fi" tab.

Select the hotel's network and click the "-" below the list.

Click "OK' at the bottom-right.

Click "Apply" at the bottom-right.

Try connecting to the hotel's network again.

If that doesn't work, try unchecking "Remember networks..." in the Advanced section, OK, Apply< then restart the computer.

Jul 15, 2015 11:47 AM in response to rawjer

As a frequent business traveler, I have run into this issue a number of times and here is what I've learned. No amount of work on your end will delete or forget the network credentials in order to return to a fresh login window. I am now in the habit of writing down the tech support phone number when the original screen pops up. That way you can contact the wireless third-party provider your hotel is using. If you didn't write it down, call the hotel front desk and ask them specifically for the tech support number of the company they use ( ). That service provider has to essentially kick you off their network. They'll need to know your IP address in order to find you. Once they do that, you will have access to the original login screen and can choose to enter a new/different access code or to choose to upgrade your service.

Trying jump through hoops with Network Preferences, forgetting the network on your iOS devices, searching your Keychain app (both on your local device AND what you might have synced/store in iClound) will only waste time and give you a headache.

Hope that helps.

<Edited by Host>

Won't forget wifi network and password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.