Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

problem with exporting slide show

It simply freezes and nothing happens. What to do?

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Sep 12, 2014 8:40 PM

19 replies

Sep 12, 2014 11:21 PM in response to ip_lawyer

There are 9 different versions of iPhoto and they run on 9 different versions of the Operating System. The tricks and tips for dealing with issues vary depending on the version of iPhoto and the version of the OS. So to get help you need to give as much information as you can. Include things like:

- What version of iPhoto.

- What version of the Operating System.

- Details. As full a description of the problem as you can. For example, if you have a problem with exporting, then explain by describing how you are trying to export, and so on.

- History: Is this going on long? Has anything been installed or deleted? - Are there error messages?

- What steps have you tried already to solve the issue.

- Anything unusual about your set up? Or how you use iPhoto?

Anything else you can think of that might help someone understand the problem you have.

Sep 13, 2014 5:46 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thank you Terence.

The OS is X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Iphoto ver is 9.5.1.

The problem is that I have created a slideshow and tried to export the same using the button. After that iPhotos suggested me to choose a resolution (480, 720, 1080) and a destination. After that a small window with notice: exporting... appears above. That's all. Nothing happens after that. It looks simply frizzed.

I did not change the system, just followed with the regular updates.

I tried to export other photos several times but failed.

Everything works well in iPhoto except the export option.

So, what could it be?

Sep 13, 2014 9:41 AM in response to ip_lawyer

Do you have 3ivX installed? If you do remove these two components: 3ivx.plistand 3ivxVideoCodec.component. You can find them by downloading and running Find Any File to search for those files. You can drag them from the search results window to the Trash bin in the Dock to remove them. Then reboot.

FAF can search areas that Spotlight can't like invisible folders, system folders and packages. If there's a library hiding somewhere on your hard drive FAF will find it.

User uploaded file

Sep 14, 2014 3:15 AM in response to ip_lawyer

To re-install iPhoto

1. Put the iPhoto.app in the trash (Drag it from your Applications Folder to the trash)

2. Download it from the App Store to reinstall It's on your Purchases List* there.

For older versions that have been installed from Disk you'll need these additional steps:

2a: On 10.5: Go to HD/Library/Receipts and remove any pkg file there with iPhoto in the name.

2b: On 10.6: Those receipts may be found as follows: In the Finder use the Go menu and select Go To Folder. In the resulting window type

/var/db/receipts/

2c: on 10.7 or later they're at

/private/var/db/receipts

A Finder Window will open at that location and you can remove the iPhoto pkg files.

3. Re-install.

If you purchased an iLife Disk, then iPhoto is on it.

If iPhoto was installed on your Mac when you go it then it’s on the System Restore disks that came with your Mac. Insert the first one and opt to ‘Install Bundled Applications Only.

*Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

Jan 8, 2015 9:59 AM in response to Yer_Man

I have the same problem. My last exporting date of a slide show was at the end of October 2014. Everything worked normal.

Yesterday I wanted to export a slide show from iPhoto to my Desktop. The popup for exporting slide shows opened, I clicked on "export" and after 2 seconds the popup disappeared and nothing happened; no error message or crash reporter window .....

I use OS 10.10.1 and iPhoto 9.6 (910.29)

Any idea what happened to my iPhoto and what the reason for not exporting could be? What ist to do, that exporting slide shows will work again ( i can export photos but not slide shows)

Best regards

Andy

Jan 9, 2015 5:14 AM in response to Old Toad

I read this but I guess what the reason is that everything worked fine until October 14 and two month later it does not work. I didn't change anything.

But I think I have to try TD's steps .....

I have a complete clone of my MBP on an external HD. Do you think it will work when I drag the iPhoto app from the external HD to the HD of my MBP (after dragging the app on the MPB-HD to the trash)?

Regards

Andy

Jan 12, 2015 2:20 AM in response to Yer_Man

o.k.: Reinstallation from the external HD to my MBP didn't bring back the "exporting slides shows" function.

So I tried the reinstallation via app store. I had to delete everything (dragging iPhoto to the trash was not enough, I had to emty trash). In the app store I had to hide iPhoto. After that a download was possible and afterwards the iPhoto app was replaced in my purchases and iPhoto was reinstalled in my apps folder. Version 9.5.1. is now installed (purchases shows iPhoto from 18.12.13 with the "update button").

With iPhoto 9.5.1. the slide show export works perfect. 🙂 So I guess shall I download the update 9.6.x ? 😕

In any case thanks for the tipps but I'd like to know the reason for the bugs why slide show exporting suddenly didn't work. I had the latest version and exporting slideshows worked until the end of October. I changed nothing (no update or anything else) and two month later this function doesn't work? 😕 Very interesting ... ***, lol 😉

Regards

Andy

Jan 26, 2015 10:05 AM in response to ip_lawyer

Slideshow exporting works with iPhoto 9.5.1 but not with 9.6.x:

I did the reinstall and everything worked perfekt! after i updated to 9.6.x I exported a slideshow and was very lucky cause it worked also with the latest version of iPhoto.

I changed nothing, had no crashes or something else. Today after starting up exporting slideshows did NOT work. I did the downgrade to 9.5.1 and everything is working fine ....

Any idea what the reason couls be that it's not working with iPhoti 9.6.x and OS10.10.1????

Regards

Andy

problem with exporting slide show

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.