Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't delete U2 song from iphone

Got most of the album that apple decided I wanted to stop showing on my iphone but one song remains and hasn't got any option to hide or delete. I turned 'Show all music' off on the iphone and I hide the album in iTunes on the computer. The song every breaking wave remains on my iphone. Any ideas on how to get rid of it?

Posted on Sep 12, 2014 5:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2014 3:42 AM

Sadly that doesn't work for me.

If I take the trouble to download the album, then swipe each track in turn to delete it, I'm left with the whole thing still showing, and available to download all over again.

In other words I'm back where I started.

Just to be clear, I don't want unsolicited content showing anywhere on my phone or my Macs. What part of that is a surprise to Apple?

25 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 14, 2014 3:42 AM in response to Bengals24

Sadly that doesn't work for me.

If I take the trouble to download the album, then swipe each track in turn to delete it, I'm left with the whole thing still showing, and available to download all over again.

In other words I'm back where I started.

Just to be clear, I don't want unsolicited content showing anywhere on my phone or my Macs. What part of that is a surprise to Apple?

Sep 15, 2014 11:37 AM in response to Rudegar

'if there is a cloud icon displaying to the right of the songs then they are not on your phone any more'

Which icon would that be then? The one on my phone? So the icon on my phone isn't on my phone? Have you even read what you wrote?

The most bizarre aspect of this fiasco - right up until the moment that Apple caved in and provided a fix (<itunes.com/soi-remove>) - is that in order to delete the songs and all trace of them from your iPhone you had first to download them. That means that U2 will shortly be able to claim the world record for downloads. Which is what it was all about from the beginning, I presume.

Anyway, it's all over now, bar the shouting (which will go on for weeks, I suppose).

Sep 15, 2014 12:08 PM in response to Bengals24

The SOI removal tool in the link above scrubbed it from my itunes, but I still can't get it off my phone. It seems like they celebrated the release of the 6 by breaking one of my favorite apps on the 5S.

Does anyone have any idea why, if it's not showing up in itunes on my computer, it would still be on my phone? <yes, I synced; yes I downloaded, swiped, & deleted>

<edit> Settings -> iTunes & App Store -> Automatic Downloads: Music must be on. Syncing it with the computer won't get rid of this unauthorized album</edit>

Nov 23, 2014 11:49 PM in response to Bengals24

I still have one song from that F*%king U2 album on my iphone. (not itunes).

I can swipe left and delete other songs but the delete button ever appears for this one song.

I have been to https://buy.itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZFinance.woa/wa/offerOptOut witch did get rid of all but one of the album on the 3rd try.

I have tried what jeffm1999 said in the last post but again no delete button appears.

I am on IOS 7 and I am not updating.

I am seeing red with this and it has definitely cemented my decision to never buy apple ever again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Nov 24, 2014 6:19 AM in response to Andrew Strange

Andrew Strange wrote

I am seeing red with this and it has definitely cemented my decision to never buy apple ever again.

Because all other devices will not have any issues?

Good luck with that...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Connect your iPhone to ITunes.
Select it in iTunes.

Select the Music tab.

Untick Sync music.

Sync iPhone.

Select the Music tab.

Tick Sync music.

Sync iPhone.

Nov 25, 2014 6:48 PM in response to Chris CA

Has Android ever forced music onto people devices and made it almost impossible to get rid of?

Also thanks for your help but I have already done that. It got rid of all the rest of the album exempt for one Song.

Connect your iPhone to ITunes.
Select it in iTunes.

Select the Music tab.

Untick Sync music.

Sync iPhone.

Select the Music tab.

Tick Sync music.

Sync iPhone.

Why can I swipe to delete some song and not this one.. how is that even a thing. What fool came up with that idea? and what fools agreed with him?

Thanks

Andrew

Dec 26, 2014 7:44 AM in response to Bengals24

I tried all of the tips listed in this thread and I still have the song Every Breaking Wave on my phone. Grrr. It is not in my iTunes. Since I did the opt-out, I can't download the whole album and then try deleting it without paying $10 for it (really?!). Powered up, powered down, rubbed my head, patted my belly and did the hokey pokey, but the **** song is still there. I can't left swipe it. All other songs I can, but not this one. Any other hints that have not already been mentioned?

Can't delete U2 song from iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.