Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV Buffering/Streaming Issues

First off, I have multiple Apple TV devices in my home. Over the past week, I have been having buffering issues on movies and TV shows purchased. Everything is hard wired ethernet. In addition, I have download speeds of 42MBS. It's only on Apple TV that I have the issues. I have tried the same movies on all devices. Anyone else having this issue?

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Sep 14, 2014 6:03 PM

18 replies

Sep 15, 2014 6:14 AM in response to vazandrew

Speed has been verified using speedtest.net. DNS is set to auto. I just had the gateway/router replaced by AT&T. Everything is directly connected to the gateway via a 16-Port Gigabit switch. I know a good amount about IT & Networking. All the basics have been gone through. Netflix, HBOGo, & YouTube all work fine on the Apple TV. It's any media that iTunes has to stream from Apple that I am running into the issue. The only thing I can think of is iTunes media may need some weird port opened up to communicate better. Either that or Apple is being cheap on their bandwidth and it's choking at certain times of night. Which I forgot to mention, this only happens at night.

Oct 20, 2014 4:02 PM in response to BioHazzard

I just purchased a new Apple TV from Apple and updated the software to current version. Tried to watch episodes of Breaking Bad last night and they kept buffering. I have Cox High Speed Internet, they just doubled their speed and say it's the fastest in home internet... Also just got a new Netgear Nighthawk X6 WiFi Router. The Apple TV is within 10 feet of the router and the buffering is terrible.

Have you had any luck resolving your buffering ?

Oct 20, 2014 6:52 PM in response to BioHazzard

I began having this problem after an upgrade of iTunes. I purchased an Airport Express and extended the Wi-Fi network over ethernet. This helped for a while, but now the problem is chronic. The streaming from PBS or other networks is working fine; my problem is with playing HD movies stored on external drives in another part of my house. The distance from my office to the living room is on the same level and very close.

I rebooted the router from AT&T, and I have tried resetting the Apple TV. I don't think that the issue is with AT&T, because the problem with the Wi-Fi is on my side of the network. I am really desparate to fix this problem.

Nov 15, 2014 7:52 PM in response to BioHazzard

I too am having issues with ATV after moving to MacOS 10.10

Here are some things I have noticed.

When ATV is sharing from an iTunes computer, streaming buffer will end shortly after

1. screen saver activates
  2. or the screen goes to sleep
  3. or if the iTunes window is not the front window
  4. or the iTunes window is collapsed

The work around is to disable screen saver and any sleep modes, have the iTunes window active, and don't use the mac for anything else.

When streaming from the Mac to the ATV, music and movies will also have many start and stops too them.

My conclusion is that using a ATV may not be the best choice for music or movie playback. Good thing I have my DVD player

Apple TV Buffering/Streaming Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.