Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple id forcing me to change my password.why why?

Why is Apple ID asking for me to change my password to get into my account?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012), iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Sep 15, 2014 3:24 PM

17 replies

Jul 4, 2017 2:10 AM in response to phat55cat

You can actually sign out of iTunes and iCloud completely. Sign in with a dummy account that you can easily make in about a minute. Then click on the change password link that it puts at the top of settings in iOS it will open up iCloud settings for the dummy account. From there go back to the main settings page, you will notice the change password alert is gone. Now sign out of the dummy account and back into your real account. May be frustrating but not as frustrating as the password loop I'm sure. Cheers.

Oct 28, 2014 12:52 AM in response to phat55cat

phat55cat wrote:

I'm trying to set up my two-step verification, but I do not want to change my password to my Apple ID.

Enabling 2-step verification requires you to change your password. You need to follow this procedure:

1. Before doing anything, turn off 'Find my iPhone/iPad/Mac' on any devices it's enabled on.

2. Sign out of iCloud on all your devices. On a Mac, System Preferences>iCloud and click 'Sign out'. On an iOS device, Settings>iCloud and click 'Delete account' (this will not delete the account from the server). Your iCloud-synced data will disappear from your device. If offered the opportunity to save it on your Mac, don't.

3. Go to http://appleid.apple.com, sign in and click 'Password & Security' in the sidebar. Answer the security questions, if set, and then click 'Edit' next to the password field. Save.

4. Sign back in on all your devices. Your data will re-appear (give it time). You can now re-enable 'Find My...'.

5. I reiterate, before your start, turn off 'Find My...' or you will probably need the services of Support.

Oct 28, 2014 12:53 AM in response to William in hcmc

William in hcmc wrote:

I bought additional storage space in the Cloud and after the purchase it forced me to change my password. I have a fairly secure one now that meets their reccomended password suggested guidelines, so I am unclear why I have to do this.

Does anyone know how I can avert this and retain my current password?

If you are being asked to change your password you will need to do so. Please follow the method outlined in my post above to avoid potential problems.

May 4, 2016 4:51 PM in response to Kikbuti

I just tried to log into my iCloud via browser, it asked me to update my password. No matter which machine (I have 3) I use, all of a sudden I have to create a new password. But everyone I use is 'weak'. So now I will have to re-enter my password to every 'apple' website, app, etc.

My problem is I used a simple 6 digit password, now it has to be 8 with upper and lower case with words that cannot be easily guessed. I now have at least 6 different passwords for multiple websites due to different requirements from different websites. Some require 6 digits, some wont allow anything other than digits, and others wont allow more than 4.

Its come to a point where I have to update all my passwords because I simply can't remember all the multiple passwords variations I have been forced to comply with ... Its maddening!.

Thanks Apple to adding to my absolute 'throw my computer out my freakin' window' frustration.

May 13, 2016 2:59 AM in response to phat55cat

It is totally frustrating that Apple force a password change but will not allow you to re-instate your old password. So it then goes like this:

1. My password is related to some factor in my life to help me remember but Apple Force me to change password. (currently I have run out of memorable personal events)

2. Change password but now need to do the same on all my other hardware and systems.

3. As Apple (iTunes) is not the be all and end all of my life it is some time later need to enter password.

4. As I have not strong memorable password links I forget may password and I am forced to use a new one

5. Return to 1. above.

I do not mind Apple advising if my password is strong or weak. However if I wish to take the risk with a weak password then that is my decision.

Why, if my systems are not compromised and all I have done is forget my password, am I forced into a password change. Many other sites with high security needs allow the old password to be used. It is my choice not Apples.

Frankly I now hate going to the iTune Store to purchase anything with either my iPhone or Mac as I always end up in the password cycle.

May 16, 2016 7:57 AM in response to PaddyRay

Essentially, the current philosophy is to require passwords so complicated they have to be written down next to the devices. Might as well put them on everything with a label maker. Sometimes more secure is less secure

It is odd that Apple is only requiring me to update my password when I log in form a PC, but is otherwise happy to accept my current password from my iPhone and iPad. (I just changed my computing back to PCs running Windows 10-what a welcome, refreshing change to have a business quality operating system again) .

My suggestion is to abandon Apple altogether-it has become a very user unfriendly company and other than the iPhone and iPad, its products, while pleasingly designed, have little function in a business world, if any at all.. And they have done very well making their products incompatible with the PC world.

May 24, 2016 6:28 PM in response to petersuchecki

This is totally frustrating to me. A new annoyance. They are "forcing" a password change, which will force me to change my password across all my apple devices. iPhone, iPad, appleTV, times 2. I guess this is because of some celebrities getting their iCloud accounts hacked?

I am so frustrated with their services I think it's time to make some changes.

Too many patches/updates. You can't ignore them, they constantly want to be in your face and pester you to death. The updates eat all my storage up. It constantly complains about my cloud storage. When I do update software on my iPad it automatically enables iMessaging on my iPad.

I can't even listen to Podcasts anymore. I think they are downloaded, but if I don't have Cellular enabled, they won't play. It keeps bringing me back to "settings"

Their products used to be elegant and intuitive, now they are annoying. I used to "love" their products, now I "hate" them.

I am going to switch at least my phone to Samsung, I have Roku and FireStick and Smart TVs which are perfectly fine. The iPad is nice, but right now that is the only product I feel is a nice to have.

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Charlie Brown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

apple id forcing me to change my password.why why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.