Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8 Update Failed

Just tried to update my iPad Air to i OS 8 about half an hour after it was released to the public.

After the iPad restart in order for my Mac to install the software, a message came up in iTunes... Says iPad can't be updated at this time.

Basically I can't even use my iPad now because it's stuck in recover mode. Cant restore it either, "iPhone software update server cannot be contacted at this time please try again later".

Really need my iPad for school tomorrow and all my work is in there. I have backups but still...

Extremely disappointed, Apple 😟

iPad, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 17, 2014 11:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2014 12:09 PM

Wait till Apple's servers are less busy. It will be much safer and quicker than trying to download when everybody else is.

105 replies

Sep 17, 2014 12:24 PM in response to Nano Tns.

Hello! I just had the same problem updating my iPhone, downloaded iOS 8 via iTunes on my Mac, but then Yosemite beta glitched and iTunes crashed, so my phone went recovery mode and I had nothing to do but restore it. But gladly I found this http://www.mediafire.com/download/kn3hawdnnb5hi8w/recboot_2_2.zip utility, just launch it with your device connected and press "exit recovery" button. At least your iPad will no longer be a useless brick. Hope it will help you!

Sep 17, 2014 3:13 PM in response to andysatana

Wow. Thank you. My heart skipped a couple of beats because I thought that I had recked my boyfriend’s iPad 2 😀

RecBoot worked (thankfully) and it got the iPad out of recovery mode. A bonus: I thought that it had been reset and that I would have to try the update later. Turns out, when I got ”back in”, iOS 8 was in place! Totally unexpected, but a nice surprise.

Sep 17, 2014 9:16 PM in response to Nano Tns.

Dude. i downloaded the program. How do i make it run?

and *** is with this .........jeez i have to figure this out TONIGHT. smdh

if anyone knows how to make my phone do SOMETHING please let me know bc at the current moment:

- black screen

- holdingdownthe home button while plugging usb in doesnt work

- downloaded and extracted recboot AND NOW WHAT?

Please help guys. Thanks

Sep 17, 2014 10:07 PM in response to ronniecoleman

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/09/17/ios-8-on-ipad-air-first-impressions-and- performance/

He talks about his device being stuck...

So I had the same issue and this is what I did.

1.) Connect Ipad to Mac and open up Itunes

2.) Hold the home and power button at the same time

3.) NOW BE PATIENT! You have to wait for your Ipad to show a logo that has a wire...and a red itunes button...after that a message should appear on itunes to begin recovery...hope this helps!

Sep 17, 2014 11:01 PM in response to Nano Tns.

I had the same problem, and this is how I got it to work. All the methods like putting the iDevice into DFU mode (a certain kind of restore mode basically) or restore mode won't work. If for some reason, you got stuck in between the update (like me), you may think that rolling back the iOS works, but it won't.

Reason: Apple servers are too busy with so many downloads. 😟

There's a possibility that you might start off with the download and update, but get stuck somewhere at about 60% progress bar, because thats the time when the software is again verified with Apple servers, and since there is no response. You end up getting an error like 3014 etc.

✅Best solution: Wait it out!

Here the best solution, just wait it out. I know its crazy to have your phone stuck in that mode, but thats the best you can do. There are other options like using proxy to access Apple server from some other country, hoping it would be less overloaded there, but the better bet is just to wait for a few hours.

Finally after eight hours of sound sleep, I tried the update again, and voila it worked! No errors whatsoever!

Hope that helps!

iOS 8 Update Failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.