Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do i use Peer-to-peer AirPlay discovery and playback?

I saw on the Apple iOS enterprise site that I can use AirPlay without connecting to a wireless network, dose this happen via Bluetooth? i cannot discover my iPhone iOS 8 on the AppleTV iOS 8.

From enterprise site;

Peer-to-peer AirPlay discovery and playback.

With iOS 8, you can wirelessly connect iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch to Apple TV without first connecting to the organization’s network. Which means you can present or share your work even if you're offline or the organization has a complex network.

AppleTV 2, iOS 8, Bluetooth integrated model

Posted on Sep 17, 2014 1:56 PM

39 replies

Jul 21, 2017 12:27 PM in response to steveranieri

I live in a rural area, and use my cellular data for internet service. So far, I've used the hotspot function on my iPad or iPhone to stream through the Apple TV. But I'm starting to get warnings that I'm exceeding my data plan and will be throttled. I'm trying to figure out if, and how, I can use Airplay without using the hotspot. I'm trying to stream Amazon Prime and Netflix. I'm fine using my data plan because it's unlimited, but the hotspot use is limited with the plan.

I have an Apple TV that supposedly has this bluetooth function - it's a 3rd gen (MD199LL/A) and it's got the EM2633 code on the bottom that seems to be required. However, unless the hotspot is activated, Airplay doesn't even come up as an option on my iPad. Airplay is activated on the Apple TV, and works fine with the hotspot. The Apple TV says it's up-to-date, as does the iPad, regarding software. It's an iPad 2, but it's got the most recent updates.

Is it possible, or are there other options, or am I stuck with burning up my hotspot data?

Sep 17, 2014 11:54 PM in response to steveranieri

I was able to get this to successfully work. I had to reboot the  TV and the iPhone after their respective updates. If you are logged into the same icloud account on both devices, there will appear to be no security to keep random strangers from streaming to your TV from outside your house. When not logged into iCloud, or when logged in as a different user on each device, streaming will require you to enter a 4 digit PIN that the  TV produces and puts up on the screen.

Sep 18, 2014 1:16 PM in response to SCorson

You've verified you have all the requirements? From the footnote in the link above:

Peer-to-peer AirPlay requires a Mac device (2012 or later) running OS X 10.10 or an iOS device (2012 or later) running iOS 8 and an Apple TV third-generation rev A (model A1469) running Apple TV software 7.0.

I got it to work on 1 work Apple TV. Forgot the wifi network, had wifi and BT turned on but not connected to anything. Pulled up Control Center and the Apple TV was there. Turned Airplay On and was able to do both audio and video mirroring. On a second ATV at work (same model) I couldn't get it to show up. At home I believe I don't have the rev A 3rd gen model so I won't be able to do it.

How do i use Peer-to-peer AirPlay discovery and playback?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.