Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touch ID iPhone 5S Failed

Hello , i have an iPhone 5S , and i have a problem with Touch ID.

When i had iOS 7.1.2 , Touch ID wasn't even showing in settings , it said only passcode , and since i updated to iOS 8 , Touch ID appears in settings , but when i want to turn on iPhone Unlock or iTunes&AppStore and put my finger , it says "Failed , Unable to complete Touch ID setup.Please go back and try again." and i tried a lot of times and still not working..

Can you please help?

iPhone 5s, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 17, 2014 2:08 PM

98 replies

Apr 12, 2017 6:45 PM in response to Tanuj_

My issues + MY FIX

My Touch ID stopped working and then I went into settings it it said it was off. When I turned it on it came up with a failed error message and wouldn't let me add any finger prints and my old ones disappeared. I did a restart in my phone (holding home button and luck button until the phone shut off and the apple logo came on then let go off buttons) When I went back into the Touch ID settings it still had my old finger prints. I deleted the old ones and it finally let me add the new ones. Now it's working. Hope this helps

May 3, 2017 12:01 AM in response to Zeonpaladin

Hello Everyone

I have 6 and had same problem for 2 days.

I read this thread and did everything what was advised by other commenters.

However nothing helped.

MY FIX OF THIS ISSUE IS:

I put my phone with no case on it into a jar filled by rice for a night, preliminarily switched it off and sealed the jar.

in the morning I took it out and voila - TOUCH ID WORKS AGAIN!!!

This is an easy way, try it and get back to me if it helped.

I know rice will absorb any moisture but space should be sealed so it takes all moisture from inside the phone.

Good luck!

Best, Atabek

Sep 18, 2014 6:31 AM in response to Zeonpaladin

My iPhone 5s was purchased Nov 2013 and I setup Touch ID at that time and it has been functioning without any problem until Mon 15 Sep when I was running iOS 7.1.2 - I had not made any changes to the iPhone but the functionality just stopped working

The iPhone unlock and the iTunes & App Store unlock were off but on each attempt to activate these I receive a Failed message - unable to complete Touch ID setup

I have tried a hard reset but this did not resolve the issue

Today I successfully upgraded to iOS 8 and I thought that this would restore the functionality of Touch ID but unfortunately that is not the case - same error message when trying to activate the iPhone lock

The passcode is active and continues to function and has not been changed since originally set Nov 2013

Can anyone assist in re-activating the Touch ID functionality ?

Sep 18, 2014 1:58 PM in response to Dogcow-Moof

Hello , i have an iPhone 5S.

When i had iOS 7.1.2 , Touch ID wasn't even showing in settings , it said only passcode , and since i updated to iOS 8 , Touch ID appears in settings , but when i want to turn on iPhone Unlock or iTunes&AppStore and put my finger , it says "Failed , Unable to complete Touch ID setup.Please go back and try again." and i tried a lot of times and still not working..

Can you please help?

And i am from Romania and here there is no Apple Store or Genius Bar..

Sep 18, 2014 3:46 PM in response to Zeonpaladin

Zeonpaladin wrote:

In the iOS 8 setup it did not mention Touch ID.

Now i am currently on iOS 8 and Touch ID appears in Setting , but when i try to turn on iPhone Unlock or iTunes it says : "Failed , Unable to complete Touch ID setup.Please go back and try again."

Do you know why?

When you go to 'Add a Fingerprint...' does it take you to the next screen where it says 'Place Your Finger'? If so what happens when you place your finger on the Home button? It should give you a number of prompts as it learns your fingerprint.

Sep 19, 2014 4:39 AM in response to Zeonpaladin

I can't see any of your images as they don't load for me. If it's a software glitch you could try doing a restart and reset. If that fails try doing a restore. The other thing is as the problem seems persistent even after the update to 8 you might have a hardware problem. I'd have it checked out at an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Center.

Turn your iOS device off and on (restart) and reset

Use iTunes to restore your iOS device to factory settings

Touch ID iPhone 5S Failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.