Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos out of order in Events after iOS 8 update

I have an iPhone 5s that I just updated to iOS 8. I sync photos from my Aperture library on my Mac, which show up as a "Events From My Mac" album under "Albums" in the Photos app on my iPhone. In iOS 7 and before, events synced from Aperture would show in reverse chronological order, which made sense. Upon updating to iOS 8, all the events are in a random order. I have events from 2008, followed by 2010, then 2009, then 2012, then 2008, etc...

Has anyone else run into this issue? I know that I'll probably have to resort to telling iTunes to stop syncing photos, delete the "iPod Photo Sync" folder from inside the Aperture package, then re-sync all the photos, but before I go through all that trouble, I was hoping someone might have an easy fix.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Sep 17, 2014 4:02 PM

352 replies

Sep 17, 2014 5:24 PM in response to mrbofus

I am having the exact same problem. I have the iPhone 5, and after I upgraded to iOS 8 my events in photos are all out of order. I sync photos from iPhoto on my MacBook Pro. I even stopped synching photos through iTunes, had it delete all photos on my iPhone, then re-synced all of my photos and the events are still out of order. I hope someone has a fix for this.

iPhone 5, with iOS 8

OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

iPhoto (9.5.1)

Sep 17, 2014 5:56 PM in response to unclemarsh40

It ***** that you're having the same issue, but I'm also glad because that means it's not just me. Hopefully this means it's a widespread issue that Apple fixes. For now, having hundreds of events out of order is basically useless to me, so I've turned off photo syncing in iTunes and hopefully Apple will fix this issue soon, at which point I can start syncing my photos again.

Sep 17, 2014 6:06 PM in response to jmbaum

@jbaum, are you syncing photos with iPhoto or Aperture from your Mac? Or from folder(s) on your PC? If so, you shouldn't need to re-organize your photos; you'll just have to wait until Apple fixes the sorting issue on iOS 8 devices and then re-sync once it is fixed. If you've done all your organization on your iOS 8 device, then that might prove to be more problematic.

Sep 17, 2014 6:16 PM in response to jmbaum

jmbaum wrote:

iphoto.

Apple has been moving away from events and pushing collections and moments, I just have a sinking feeling that they are going to keep pushing people away from creating events.

If they're going to keep events, they should make it work, and if they want to get rid of events, they should just get rid of them. It doesn't make sense to keep events but then jumble up their order.

Sep 17, 2014 8:05 PM in response to mrbofus

Same issue here. Hopefully Apple acknowledges this quickly and pushes a fix. Events are the main way I organize my photos. I don't see any advantage to the Moments and Collections thing since the user has no control over how they're put together. I honestly don't understand why Apple is even pushing those...it would be the same thing as doing away with playlists in Music and only allowing Genius. Makes no sense to take such a fundamental control away from users.

Sep 18, 2014 1:39 AM in response to mrbofus

I have the exact same problem, in addition, the photos app on iPhone 5S and iPad Air seems quite laggy and stuttery.

It would suck if Apple tried to get rid of Events, just a few years back they took center stage in iPhoto and the Photos app.Because of that, I switched my organisation from albums to events and really started to like that.

It was a lot of work, but now works perfectly for me. Collections and Moments can not replace that, as their algorithms are simply not that good. Besides, they are useless on iOS so far because with photos synced via iTunes and Photostream activated there are a lot of duplicates - and have been since day 1 of iOS 7.

Regards,

Robert

Sep 18, 2014 7:55 AM in response to mrbofus

I have the exact same issue as well, both on my iPad 3 and iPhone 5. And I do remember of the exact same issue happening during a previous iOS update (probably iOS6 as the previous poster indicated). To me this is just one of those major ****-ups that one shouldn't expect to see in a new iOS release. Obviously iOS8 hasn't gone through enough internal testing. Hope it's fixed with 8.0.1.

Sep 18, 2014 8:45 AM in response to mrbofus

Major bug... If you sync your photos (organized in iPhoto events) from your mac - the events end up in a totally random sort sequence on your iOS device. I have Mac iPhoto events sorted by date descending... worked fine with iOS 7.x (that is the iOS device showed events in the same sort). After upgrading to iOS8, my iOS device events are "sorted" in a totally random way - not by date, not by name, just scrambled. Makes the use of the Albums/events view on the iOS device useless. I'm switching back to iOS7 until it's fixed...

Sep 18, 2014 10:12 AM in response to mrbofus

Everyone please report this to Apple; you can do so here: https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Right now, there's no dropdown selection for iOS 8, but I selected "iOS 7.1.2" and wrote this in the comments after describing the issue: "I am using iOS 8, but there's not dropdown selection for iOS 8 on the following question, so I picked iOS 7.1.2.." Also, for me, the Submit button wasn't there, but it is located to the right of where it says, "Please read Apple’s Unsolicited Idea Submission Policybefore you send us your feedback."

Hopefully the more people that report this, the more quickly they will fix this.

Photos out of order in Events after iOS 8 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.