Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

family sharing is not working

So today I downloaded IOS 8 on both devices, Ipod 5th generation and Iphone 4S. they both have different accounts. i set up the family sharing on both devices and they were both set up. i went on the Ipod 5th generation to download the previous purchases from the Iphone 4S and all the apps show up but when i try downloading it it comes up with a "redownload unavailable with this apple ID" then it says this download is not available for this apple ID either because it was bought by a different user or the item was refunded or cancelled. i now it was not cancelled or refunded because i play it on my Iphone 4S and it works. then i tried a different paid app and it does the error again saying the same thing. please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

iPhone 4S, iOS 8, ipod 5th generation too

Posted on Sep 17, 2014 5:27 PM

97 replies

Oct 3, 2014 5:10 AM in response to Atrixet

Try this: go into itunes store on your device. Scroll down to the bottom of the page. Click on your apple id - log out then back in again. That should fix some of the problems discussed here.

This only works for a minute or two. It seems to take the app some time to re-parse past purchases after you log in. So you have a short window to download or update free apps. Pretty soon, you are back to the original problem.

By the way, this is also the reason why this thread is full of posts from people who thought they solved the problem, only to post later that it had returned.

Sep 19, 2014 5:23 AM in response to supaninja183

I try to install "My Media Center" app from "Ceton" on my IPad that in a family sharing group. The app was purchased by Family Sharing Originator account but I get this error when I try to install it "Redownload Unavailable with This Apple ID. This redownload is not available for this Apple ID either because it was bought by a different user or the item was refunded or cancelled."

I am not sure which account it is referring too. If its saying I cannot download it from the originator account why doesn't it give my an option to repurchase it on my account?

Once I get the error the only I option is to click "OK". I cannot download the app at all.

Going into Settings > iCloud or iTunes & App Store doesn't prompt me for password. This is the only app out of like 50 this happened with. So I assume it something with the app.

Sep 19, 2014 3:50 PM in response to supaninja183

Same for me for books. All the iBooks purchased on account A show up in account B with the little download cloud. Pressing on it briefly appears it is going to download but than stops. *****.

I also must say that how Apple implemented this sharing feature is way to cumbersome. Setting it up is easy but getting to the items purchased from other account in Ibooks and iTunes applications ***** big time. Switching between library and front store where the little "purchased" item can be clicked than family member to search for the item you want. How much hassle is that? What would be wrong with showing all the purchased items in your own purchased items list possibly tagged with the family member name? Man, this iTunes and iBooks is so un-apple, it makes me want to trow my phone against the wall.

Sep 19, 2014 6:22 PM in response to supaninja183

+ 1

Same issue for me with the accounts under my family sharing. Tried revalidating icloud with the affected devices as well as rebooted them, but the following is the current list of apps I found that will not download to the devices under my family account. (with the same error msg listed above):

- google voice

- google search / now

- google maps

- google Earth

- Waze

- Flip board

- Google drive

Oddly enought Google + and Gmail installed fine.

Sep 19, 2014 7:11 PM in response to supaninja183

Same issue. Annoying. I was looking forward to this feature more than any other in iOS 8.

I was able to manually sync the applications from iTunes to the phone, but not via the phone only (the iCloud app store download). I get that "Update Unavailable with This Apple ID" error "because it was bought by a different user or the item was refunded or cancelled."

One of the applications I was able to install successfully via iTunes wouldn't update either, so I logged out of my spouse's account to see what would happen when I tried to update it. It just spun and spun and never updated. I restarted the phone, tried again (with her ID) and it gave the error. Logged out and into my account, and was able to update.

If the error is caused by application developers not "allowing" Family Sharing, I'm afraid most old applications which aren't being updated anymore will never work. Again, this sort of deflates the value of the "feature".

Either this is a poorly implemented feature with a lot of bugs, or Apple misled us into believing this feature was something that it isn't.

Sep 19, 2014 7:52 PM in response to supaninja183

My daughter and I are holding two brand new iPhone 6s. We have created a Family Share with me as the Organizer and she as a 'family member'. Previously, all 4 of our family phones were using MY Apple ID so we could all share purchased apps. I was very much looking forward to having everyone using their own Apple IDs. Why is the happening. Surely Apple tested the heck out of this, right?

My daughter has been able to instal some apps: Instagram, a couple of games. But Spotify, most Google apps, and all the ones she wants give us the "redownload unavailable with this apple ID" error.

PLEASE FIX!

Sep 19, 2014 8:34 PM in response to Dan in VA

This is happening to me and my wife as well. Like a poster above, I was able to push apps to her phone via iTunes. However, a few of those say they need updates and I can't perform the update.

I've noticed that this seems to affect apps that her phone can't see in family sharing, but when she searches for them in the app store, they have the icon that indicates they have already been purchased. I can't say for sure that it's exclusively those apps, but it is something I've noticed.

Please fix Apple! We're iOS converts from Android, and I have been spending the past few months convincing her to come to iOS. I can use the iTunes workaround to save face, but I can't forever!!

EDIT: I neglected to mention that I've tried downloading a free app on her account that neither of us had previously. I've also signed out/signed in, etc., All the suggestions on this thread, but to no avail.

family sharing is not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.