Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Create Apple ID for Child in iOS8

I'm on the Apple Support page titled: Family Sharing and Apple IDs for kids

It gives step-by-step instructions for setting up an Apple ID for a child under 13 years old - this is a new feature of iOS8 and its Family Sharing feature.

Step 4 is to enter my credit card security code, however when I actually go through the process, after step 3 I am told "A credit card is required" and that I must got to iTunes & App Store Settings to add a valid credit card to my account. Having done that (more than once!) I still get the same message. I'm stuck in an infinite loop! The instructions are not matching the actual process.

Has as anybody else encountered this problem? Any known fixes? Do I have to wait for 8.0.1? I have to say, with my younger children using iPads at school, I was very much looking forward to this feature!

Thanks in advance -John

Posted on Sep 17, 2014 7:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2014 7:10 PM

Someone else suggested that the issue is cause by trying to use a debit card and, at least for now, can be solved by adding a credit card instead: Creating a Child Account Error - Solved.

5 replies

Jun 17, 2015 1:31 AM in response to ottergren

I see the same problem in iOS 8.3. In Apple's world all adults have a credit card. If you don't have a credit card, you are a child and not allowed to create an Apple-ID for children below 13 years.

Until Apple realize that the world is bigger than USA, you need to do either:

1) Get a credit card

or

2) Create a "real" Apple-ID for you child and lie about his/her age.

I will do alternative 2. But I really hope Apple fixes this problem for real. It disturbs me a lot.

Cannot Create Apple ID for Child in iOS8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.