Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After iOS 8 update, the mail app crashes on iPhone 4S

I've updated to iOS 8 this afternoon and now the mail app crashes. It will open the first time after a power off and restart of my 4S but after that first time it will crash every single time I try to open it. I can only reopen it after I've done a full reboot of the phone, and then only once. Is there a quick fix or do I get to wait for an update?

iPhone 4S, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 17, 2014 7:22 PM

24 replies

Sep 30, 2014 6:00 PM in response to jarra64

I tried all of the suggested solutions mentioned in this thread, and finally did a full reset according to Apple's instructions, step by step (as an engineer and 40 year computer user I am good at that stuff).

Sorry to say after the several hour process, not one of the problems I have experienced have been solved.

IPad 2 is still running slow and choppy.

Some Apps do not even load.

Website pages will not load and result in error messages. One particularly annoying Safari error on loading a new web page is: "a problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded".

MY iPad 2 worked perfectly for the last couple of years through several updates that performed seamlessly, but this one and the two most recent corrected updates have rendered my iPad so degraded that I don't think I will be using it much anymore. I originally bought the tablet because of it's smooth GUI and fast performance, the reliability and error free environment, and Apple's proven record for effective updates. That's all gone now.

Oct 8, 2014 8:17 AM in response to Playa Wolf

Noticed that my mail app would only crash when I was viewing my POP email account (I have multiple email accounts using outlook, exchange, etc... email accounts).

I did all the rebooting and restoring of the phone but the issue continued. I deleted the account and then recreated it and if I restarted my phone (power and home button) it would stay up for about a day then it would crash again.

I never thought of i cloud not sure why I did not think about it but I turned off the mail switch in i cloud and now my pop email account does not crash the app. It was crashing consistently all morning and now it seems stable..

Jan 5, 2015 10:46 PM in response to Playa Wolf

I Have this problem on an iPad 3. I upgraded to 7, hated the ugly new design and avoided all subsequent upgrades until I decided to bite the bullet for compatability's sake withe my phone. The upgrade to 8.02 has done okay, until today, when Mail became incredibly sluggish of a sudden, and then crashed. I suspect a corrupted file that it's not recovering from. iPhone 5 mail is working fine. I deleted the account and reinstalled the account, but it still crashes.

After iOS 8 update, the mail app crashes on iPhone 4S

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.