Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cellular Data not Working after iOS 8 Upgrade

Updated to iOS 8 on iPhone 5 today and the phone doesn't seem to download anything on cellular data. iMessages do not send (red ! bang and "Not Delivered") or receive when on cellular data, and apps do not refresh. When I finally reconnected to wifi, about 15 iMessages appeared instantly and apps were able to load normally

Calls OK.

Wifi OK.

Tried power cycling a couple times and toggling airplane mode to refresh LTE connection, but no luck. Phone says it's has an LTE connection in upper left corner. Cellular and LTE are both ON in Settings

Verizon phone.

Austin, TX service.

iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 17, 2014 8:37 PM

26 replies

Sep 17, 2014 11:04 PM in response to jacobd@niel

I am having a similar issue with my 5s. My phone says "no service" in my apartment, even though I normally have good signal strength. My husband's phone (purchased at the same time but has not been updated to ios 8), maintains its usual signal strength. I am unable to make/ receive calls. I have tried turning the phone on/ off, re-syncing it, turning to airplane mode, turning cellular data on/off, all with no luck. Somebody help!

Sep 19, 2014 6:43 PM in response to jacobd@niel

I got my new iPhone 6 with iOS 8 installed and cellular data doesn't work on it. I tried network settings resetting, turning to airplane mode, turning cellular data on/off but nothing helped. At the same time on my old iPhone 5 with iOS 7 cellular data was working perfectly. Then I updated iPhone 5 to iOS 8. It was a mistake. Now I have two iPhones with no cellular data working! Somebody HELP!!

Sep 22, 2014 3:07 AM in response to jacobd@niel

I just upgraded my iPhone 5S to iOS8 3 days ago and my Cellular Data stopped working:

. Wi-Fi Working

. Whatsapp Working

. Facebook Working

. But all browsing, 3G and 4G and LTE, Safari stopped working.

I tried factory reset, restore, Airplane On and Off but none of it worked.
Until I discovered that my VPN Network was trying to connect automatically. I went to Settings--> VPN--> Profiles--> Delete

Voila!. Everything was working again.

* Note previously on iOS 7.1.2, I had a VPN Profile called Onavo which was working fine. It just screwed up on iOS 8 so I had to delete it.

Hope this helps some of you.

Cellular Data not Working after iOS 8 Upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.