Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8 Health App - Change Units

Hi everyone,

I have started using the Health App to log my blood glucose measurements. Has anyone figured out how to change the units from mg/dl to mmol/l for example? Is there a settings somewhere for that? If not, should an Apple representative be reading this, are there plans to support more global units?

Thanks.

Posted on Sep 17, 2014 9:05 PM

27 replies

Sep 18, 2014 2:38 AM in response to Leodis user

Hi - I'm in the UK and I have only just started using this app, in fact I have zero apps integrated yet, just the steps / distance from the M7. So I expect I'll have lots of other wrong units to look forward to but already I see kilometres instead of miles. And I see no way to change that in the app or in general settings. I suspect it's taking it from the region data. I've had similar problems with other apps that are convinced that UK is all metric all of the time :-(

Sep 18, 2014 3:52 AM in response to Peter Moyer

How to you stop the app health app running in the background.. I have not used it till today and I got in the CAR (30 steps max) and drove the kiddies to school. which is about 3km away. I got back and messed with the new iOS and it said this morning i walked 12000 steps and ran/walked 4.3km. The app was not running on my phone and I had not opened it till this morning.

I have looked in background app refresh. and the normal places on the iphone 5s and can't find away to turn it off and stop it collecting data when i don't want it too.

Have any of you got any clue on how to turn it off?

Sep 18, 2014 4:10 AM in response to EP65

yes but if you look it takes up nearly 20% of your battery by always running (almost as much as having your brightness turned up to full and using your phoneto play a game).. there as to be a way to turn it off and to stop recording and logging stuff every time you the phone moves/vibrates. Playing the tippy tap app caused me to walk over 100 steps just,

Sep 18, 2014 4:59 PM in response to GeekCraze

I think i figured it out, well at least it works for me. I have an iPod touch 5.

So first you figure out what country or region has the units or measurements you want to change to. For example, I'm Canadian. I wanted to change kg to lbs, and cm to inches. So its the US for me.

Settings > General > Language and Region > Region > Pick The Country

i changed it to the US and it worked for me.

Hope that Helped!

Sep 19, 2014 1:00 AM in response to krisy254

That does seem to confirm my theory but as others have pointed out it is not a fix for anyone except perhaps Canada - USA (maybe not even then). I don't want dollars, US date format, fahrenheit, etc etc just to get miles instead of kilometres. Looks like Apple believes that everyone outside of the US is on the metric system. Might be nearly true but not quite :-) Doesn't help I know that we in the UK like to mix it up a bit - Celsius for temperature but miles for distance for example.

But actually even if they get their atlas out and get everyone's units correct respective to their location we still need more control. I live in the UK but I might, for example, prefer Fahrenheit and kilometres to Celsius and miles. We should be able to choose.

Sep 22, 2014 12:13 AM in response to philsbits

Dont think you can turn off the M7 chip / step tracker. At best you might want to disable "Motion" for specific apps (but not Health, thats not an option) under Settings > Privacy > Motion Activity as well as other Privacy > Location Services apps and such you dont want to use (to save battery).

I submitted the feedback to change units for Health cos even though Im in the right 'Region', there are certain things (like glucose) that I have information for in one measurement - not the one the app uses.

Couldnt find the submit button on the feedback form, so just pressed enter to submit the form 😝
Also couldnt find 'Health' as an app, so just submitted it under "iPhone". Also couldnt select ios 8 from the ios version list because its not listed! looks like Apple has a lot of updating to do on their site as well!

iOS 8 Health App - Change Units

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.