Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Push notifications not working with iOS8?

Hey there,

I updated my iphone 5 with iOS8 this morning, it all worked fine for a few hours but I've recently noticed the past few hours I'm not getting notifications showing up. All my settings are set appropriately (I doubled checked, and never change it anyway they are all always set to on), just all of a sudden I don't actually get notified of any activity despite their being activity.

Is this a bug or something? I wasn't even aware I had new messages in whatsapp and likes on instagram, even text messages and missed calls until I actually checked the apps, not even a little red circle on the apps, this is very frustrating and has never happened before. I've tried restarting etc and didn't help.

Any help would be awesome!

Thanks

iPhone 5

Posted on Sep 17, 2014 9:57 PM

20 replies

Sep 20, 2014 1:49 PM in response to jeffd55

It's something else, neither my iPad air or the 5S phone are getting notifications from the local news channel or weather ones.

I have an old 3GS that is still getting them from the same apps.

Already tried the reboot, on/off bit, both power and toggling them from the settings.

Others like Words with Friends, it shows up on the lock screen but no sound (ping). And yes, it's set to make noise.

Sep 23, 2014 2:45 PM in response to FSAS

I'm not getting my instagram push notifications on my iphone5. I have the same problem. Can somebody help me please.

I checked all my push notification options. But doesn't work. I turn it off / turn it on. Doesn't work. I think it's a bug for all iphone5

Please apple fix it. (P.s I have updated iOS8 and the last update from instagram.)

Sep 23, 2014 4:08 PM in response to jeffd55

Hey everyone,

Strangely enough my phone sort of just went back to normal by itself, I assume.

My push notifications for instagram, whatsapp and messages etc work again (though I can't speak for other apps as I don't use others much).

I really can't even pinpoint what I might have done myself, as my phone has been glitchy in general, as mentioned the push notification issue happened sporadically some hours after downloading the iOS8 update for my iphone 5.

I didn't really even do anything like factory restore, or any special restore, or even toggle the notification settings, what I did do though was go into settings and reset all settings completely and mostly just continued to turn my phone on and off, sometimes for 30 seconds at time (out of frustration as when I send imessages they always freeze, so I was turning my phone on and off a lot to even just get those messages cancelled so I could send texts).

I do think there's an issue with iOS8 in that regard, as it seems like many are having that issue but I sadly can't tell you what I did to restore my push notifications, and I don't know if it's going to stayed "fixed" just seem to be getting some now. Hopefully it's something Apple are aware of as it's such a nuisance.

I also haven't done anything like set up iCloud or anything, I also actually went through my settings and turned off and on a lot of different things, so maybe try doing that? In a way it seems irrelevant but that's honestly all I did, as I was so frustrated and angry that I wasn't getting notifications I just ignored my phone for a while and then just messed around with all settings.

Anyway hope I could be some help in general, hopefully my push notifications stay restored, and I really hope apple address all the issues..it seems like a lot of people are have quite a few issues..

Also perhaps irrelevant, but I also updated every single app that required an update.

Just mentioning everything possible, as any one of the things I did could have triggered the notifications to come back on, aware that we don't really know why it's happening etc.

Oct 17, 2014 3:03 PM in response to FSAS

TThere is no help, Apple has broken the iPhone. Alerts aren't working anymore and neither are incoming calls. Sometimes the phone rings, sometimes it is silent. Text alerts don't show until the moment I press the home button to wake the phone. This problem is caused by iOS 8 and it's pretty pathetic that my "phone" doesn't ring anymore. Apple is DONE.

Oct 20, 2014 11:16 PM in response to FSAS

I had this problem after every OTA update. Searched for a solution for a while.

Finally this worked for me :

1. Delete the apps who don't have Push notifications any more form the device.

2. Turn the device off completely and turn it back on.

3. Go to settings and set date and time ahead a day

4. Turn the device off again et turn it back

5. Install the apps again and It'll ask for notification like the first time you installed It.

This will reset the notification settings.

Hop this will help.

Regards 😉

Dec 15, 2014 9:44 AM in response to FSAS

For me only a few seem to work, like Words with Friends. All my local news, BBC, and AP push notifications have stopped since upgrading. This was on my iphone 5, and now on my iphone 5c, which is running 8.1.2. I've double checked my settings and toggled them on and off. I also have rebooted and restarted my phone a few times.

Do you think this might be an ap-specific problem? Sounds like iOS 8 might require different settings in an ap for push notifications?

Push notifications not working with iOS8?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.