Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Location services completely grey since ios8!

Dear apple users

I was happy to install the new ios8 update via itunes on my 4S. After the update i saw the location services were disabled and that the button is completely grey.

Even in restrictions the location was disabled, i cancelled all restriction but it didn't help!

I did a complete recovery of my phone and put the backup back from just before updating to ios8, but still doens't help!!

I'm leaving for vacation tonight and need my phone for my navigation apps!!!

Please help!!

Thanks in advance from Belgium!

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Sep 17, 2014 10:27 PM

30 replies

Sep 21, 2014 2:02 AM in response to Stijnley

Well, I still have te problem. Location sharing is a bit buggie or at least not to the 'It just works' standards...

On my iphone5 the 'find my friends app' tells me that my locationservices are off while the button share my location service is on (and greyed out)

in settings > locationservices the locationservices is 'on', 'share my location' is also switched 'on' (and NOT greyed out) ande 'Friends app' is set to 'when using app' setting..

It seems to be just a 'Friends' app issue, I still can find the phone with 'Find iPhone'...

I am completely stuck on this so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Oct 7, 2014 6:14 PM in response to G J Piper

This worked out for me as well, though after the second round of playing with restrictions. What a riddle!! This is a serious bag! I couldn't use my phone ever since the first day iOS 8 was out. Desperately, I have restored it as a new phone, but just now I wanted to try this instruction and it worked. Luckily!

In short, I did not enable Location Services during the iOS 8 installation.
I had Location Services button off and also greyed out.

I enabled restrictions and turned off all the buttons under restrictions.

Then I restricted making changes to location services within restrictions.

And then I have enabled it, but I still could not press the button for enabling Location Services under Settings>Privacy>Location Services.

So I went to General>Restrictions>Location Services again and did one more time Don't Allow and then Allow.

After this (for some magical reasons) I was able to press and enable Location Services under Settings>Privacy>Location Services.
Finally, I turned off Restrictions and was back to normal.
What a mess!!

Apple really made some terrible mistakes on hardware and software trials within the last update.

Location services completely grey since ios8!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.