Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't clear previous searches from Maps in iOS 8

Prior to iOS 8 update, there was the ability to clear previous searches in the Map app.

Now there is no visible button to clear entries as before nor swiping an entry to the right or left will not accomplish anything. There is nothing in settings either. Clicking on the magnifying glass to the left of a history entry will not bring up any delete capabilities.

As it is now, the list will apparently just get longer and longer and I might not want a history of location searches left on the phone.

There is still a clear button on the Mac Maps app. Why not on the phone??????

iPhone 5s, iOS 8, 32 GB

Posted on Sep 17, 2014 10:55 PM

32 replies

Sep 18, 2014 6:10 PM in response to lec0rsaire

If you find out how to do it please LET ME KNOW ASAP. I will go trhough the whole settings app in detail tonight and if I find anything i'll let you know immediately. Why couldn't they leave Maps alone. It was getting better and it was working perfectly. They've removed as many features as they've added! I'll see how iOS 8 responds on the 6 tomorrow.

Sep 18, 2014 7:18 PM in response to Derryl S

I just figured it out! Tap the search bar in Maps, the tap Favorites, then clear will show up on the upper left hand side! Finally. Wow is that hidden or what? I never favorite anything therefore i would've never found it! I hope this brings you peace dude. Stuff like this happens in every release and it's frustrating. I can't get Siri to work by pressing the button on my 4S earphones. I don't know if I need the new ones or what. Hey Siri only works if im charging the phone in my car. Otherwise it doesn't work which makes no sense. I guess the Hey Siri feature is a heavy battery killer since it just works by audio but why take away the button option. I will be ****** if the mic and button don't fully work on my 1st gen Beats Studios. I'm not going to keep buying new accessories just because Apple wants me to.

Nov 4, 2014 4:44 PM in response to lec0rsaire

Thank you.

I managed to clear my entire history of addresses/searches, following your advice.

Next question: Is there any way to delete selectively the various searches? Some I would like to keep; others, not.

Another question. In searching for an answer to this, I ran across this page from MacWorld, which also deals with the question. See here:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1162976/hands_on_with_find_my_iphone_mac_and_fri ends.html

Snell's screen shot shows the icon at the top of the screen, to the right of the right of the address window, as a Bookmark icon. By my iPhone Maps shows a different icon--the one with the little box with an upward rising arrow emerging from it, which takes you to the links for emailing, etc.

It means that Snell's solution doesn't work for me.

Have I missed something? (I usually have).

Thanks!

Alarik

Jan 13, 2015 10:49 AM in response to aws5

I'm a new iPhone user and i have this exact question as well - how to selectively clear search history items - there are a few I'd like to keep for future use but many I'd like to delete - it's very frustrating that you can only clear all or nothing! a related question: does anyone know if keeping the search history items in any way uses up the battery faster?

Feb 5, 2015 9:26 PM in response to rajfromfremont

Can someone here PLEASE look at the question I just asked tonight, under maps. About maps search history. I don't need to delete the search history, I'm just wondering how some of it shows up....and the how/why the "From a person" for an address shows up under it. I don't understand at all. How it got there, why the person is connected to it. The people aren't even in my contacts. Somebody please explain. I'll owe you one. Thank you

can't clear previous searches from Maps in iOS 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.