Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Guided access not working in iOS 8 on iPad Mini Retina

I installed iOS8 on an iPad Mini retina and the install worked without issue (not the case on all of my devices). However, the Guided Access function is not working. It is enabled in Settings as per instructions. Triple-click gives the option to select Guided Access from an app, but when selected nothing happens.

I have tried disabling and re-enabling Guided Access. I have tried in several apps. I have tried restarts and hard resets. I have tried Resetting All Settings. I have tried restoring the device to factory settings and then applying a backup. Nothing has worked.

The feature works fine on an iPhone 4S and an iPhone 5S - but also does not work on my iPad with Retina display.

Has anyone else seen this issue / have a suggestion that I have not tried?

I think this is a bug in iOS 8 as this worked fine before the update.

iPad mini (Retina) Wi-Fi, Cellular, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 18, 2014 7:14 AM

32 replies

Sep 18, 2014 5:50 PM in response to jaberin

I can confirm that this works on 3rd Generation iPads. But not 2nd Generation iPads. I have found that if Guided access was enabled prior to the upgrade it might reset in this process.

1. Turn off Guided Access in Accessibility / Settings.
  2. Hard reboot. (Hold Home and Lock buttons for 7 seconds)
  3. Turn on Guided Access in Accessibility / Settings. Reset Passcode.

Anyone have luck with a newer model?

Guided access not working in iOS 8 on iPad Mini Retina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.