Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 11.4 bug when used with OS 10.6.8 - won't sync or backup iPhone

I actually just wanted to post this in case Apple monitors these boards. iTunes 11.4 says it's compatible with OS 10.6.8 or later, but there is a bug in it when you're running OS 10.6.8 that prevents you from backing up or synching your iPhone (in my case, a 5s). Doesn't matter what iOS you're running. If you attempt to backup in iTunes 11.4, it immediately ends the backup and only displays "Other" content being stored on your phone. Also, the "Sync" button is greyed out, so you can't even attempt to sync.

No amount of restoring (even a DFU restore) or reinstalling iTunes 11.4 will fix this. The solution is to delete iTunes 11.4 and its related files and to reinstall iTunes 11.3.1, at least until Apple gets the bug corrected. After hours of restores trying to resolve it, I followed this process and it completely solved my problem in about ten minutes. I found the solution with instructions in this thread:

Upgraded to iTunes 11.4 and now it won't sync my iPhone 5s-sync button is greyed out.

Thanks to cwa2, enee and Zak for supplying the solution. I've also summarized the steps here.

(1) Use this link to download a copy of iTunes 11.3.1:

http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/download-review/1957301/apple-itunes-for-mac-1110

(2) Delete the following iTunes 11.4 components (they will be replaced when you install iTunes 11.3.1) by dragging them to the Trash:

• /Applications/iTunes.app
  • /Library/Frameworks/iTunesLibrary.framework
  • /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Library/MobileDevices.bun dle
  • /System/Library/Extensions/AppleMobileDevice.kext
  • /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext
  • /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AirTrafficHost.framework
  • /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreFP.framework
  • /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DeviceLink.framework
  • /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iTunesAccess.framework
  • /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework

(3) Some people have had trouble seeing the contents of the CoreTypes.bundle to get to the MobileDevices.bundle. You can access it this way:

• In the Finder, select Go To Folder under the Go To menu (or Shift+ Cmd+ G)
  • Type in: /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Library/
  • The MobileDevices.bundle will be displayed; drag it to the Trash.

(4) Empty your Trash.

(5) Install iTunes 11.3.1, and go back to living your life. Remember, do not upgrade to iTunes 11.4 again until you're certain the bug has been resolved.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 18, 2014 7:35 AM

35 replies

Sep 18, 2014 8:14 AM in response to LuvMe,LuvMyiPod

You know what Tim Cook, I get that having a 7-8 year old MacBook may occasionally present compatibility issues with future apple updates, but this isn't on.

I restored my iPhone thinking that was the problem and now can sync it, at all, I cant listen my music I paid for on-the-go.

Its like falling into a trap. If it was clear that my 2007 MacBook 32bit 10.6.4 would stop me syncing my iPhone5s I wouldn't have updated. I feel left in cold.

I don't like monkeying around with the system files to downgrade iTunes 11.3 but presently feel I have no choice if I want the same level of functionality I had only a few days ago 😟

Please, please, please, Apple add 32bit support to iTunes 11.4 and I mean like in days not weeks.

Sep 20, 2014 4:54 PM in response to Uberchick

In Reply to all fellow Apple fans: It is great that someone found a work-around to the iTunes 11.4 no syncing problem. I think that is fine for the short term. And I am really glad that we customers have a forum to share information and experiences regarding Apple's products. However, as someone here said, we are all customers; and posting a problem here "IN HOPES THAT APPLE READS THESE POSTS" is NOT a way to resolve this issue or any issue.

PLEASE CONTACT APPLE: Apple Service Center: 1-800-275-2273 - Once you get a ticket number then and only then is this documented and then Apple can follow-through and alert the engineers who will fix this.

The "CWA2" work-around band-aid does several things in addition to reverting back to iTunes 11.3.1. :

1) It ensures that Apple continues to know nothing of the problem.

2) It ensures that the faulty code that is within 11.4 remains there and is perpetuated into future versions.

3) It ensures that YOU can never upgrade to future versions. (If the resident faulty code remains and perpetuates)

So once you have reverted back to 11.3.1, the problem APPEARS to have gone away (FOR YOU) but you have not solved the problem.

Again, respectfully,

1) Sending feedback to apple (using the "Report Bugs To Apple" menu item in Safari will get the information to someone, somewhere and add it to the pile of issues, complaints, suggestions, etc.

2) CALLING the Apple service/support Center at 1-800-275-2273 will put you in touch with a real APPLE person who will begin the process of documenting and forwarding this issue on to those who will fix it.

and

3) emailing Apple directly will make sure that they get the information.

lets get this fixed !!!!!!!!!

Sep 21, 2014 1:37 PM in response to LuvMe,LuvMyiPod

"I actually just wanted to post this in case Apple monitors these boards. iTunes 11.4 says it's compatible with OS 10.6.8 or later, but there is a bug in it when you're running OS 10.6.8 that prevents you from backing up or synching your iPhone (in my case, a 5s). Doesn't matter what iOS you're running. If you attempt to backup in iTunes 11.4, it immediately ends the backup and only displays "Other" content being stored on your phone. Also, the "Sync" button is grayed out, so you can't even attempt to sync.

No amount of restoring (even a DFU restore) or reinstalling iTunes 11.4 will fix this."

I'm running 10.6.8 on a 2010 Mac Pro (64-bit - that's important) with iTunes 11.4 and I am not having any problems backing up or synching.

If you are on a 32-bit Mac running 10.6.8, then yes - you are hosed (because of the 64-bit-only kext issue). But please stop making sweeping assumptions that are simply not true.

Sep 24, 2014 8:20 AM in response to LuvMe,LuvMyiPod

I believe that I may have an easier fix (at least it worked for me!)

I believe that the problem is related to an old extension (/System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext) that does not get updated when iTunes is updated. Mine had the "Modified Date" as May 28, 2009. I moved this file to my desktop and then reinstalled the latest version of iTunes (11.4) by downloading it from Apple. The modified date on the extension in question now reads "Jul 28, 2014", my "Sync" button is no longer greyed out and the Content Bar now displays the correct information. The "Sync" operation now works as it should.

Sep 24, 2014 4:56 PM in response to Tom Petro-Roy

I had the same problem OS 10.6.8 + iTunes 11.4 + iOS = No Sync / Backup + lots of swearing

I tried a normal reinstall of iTunes 11.4 and restoring my iPad both from a local Mac backup and an iCloud backup with no joy.

But I can now confirm that the issue is indeed a problematic system file which is not overwritten with a simple installation/re-installation of iTunes 11.4:

I identified the system files mentioned by LuvMe,LuvMyiPod in the original post using Pacifist on the iTunes installer receipt.

I then deleted them manually, reinstalled 11.4 and (after a restart) iTunes was able to correctly sync with my iPad.

Well done to Tom Petro-Roy for identifying which of these files is the culprit.

Sep 25, 2014 10:41 AM in response to LuvMe,LuvMyiPod

I had the same problem this afternoon using my aged MBP, and must admit that after seeing this thread I was a little concerned about the solution. I called AppleCare, the agent confirmed that they knew of the problem and sent me a link to download an updated version of iTunes 11.4.

Despite my reservations, I did as asked, and "voila" it worked - all working as it should. So, thank you to AppleCare - a very positive experience with them.

iTunes 11.4 bug when used with OS 10.6.8 - won't sync or backup iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.