Question: iTunes 11.4 bug when used with OS 10.6.8 - won't sync or backup iPhone
I actually just wanted to post this in case Apple monitors these boards. iTunes 11.4 says it's compatible with OS 10.6.8 or later, but there is a bug in it when you're running OS 10.6.8 that prevents you from backing up or synching your iPhone (in my case, a 5s). Doesn't matter what iOS you're running. If you attempt to backup in iTunes 11.4, it immediately ends the backup and only displays "Other" content being stored on your phone. Also, the "Sync" button is greyed out, so you can't even attempt to sync.
No amount of restoring (even a DFU restore) or reinstalling iTunes 11.4 will fix this. The solution is to delete iTunes 11.4 and its related files and to reinstall iTunes 11.3.1, at least until Apple gets the bug corrected. After hours of restores trying to resolve it, I followed this process and it completely solved my problem in about ten minutes. I found the solution with instructions in this thread:
Thanks to cwa2, enee and Zak for supplying the solution. I've also summarized the steps here.
(1) Use this link to download a copy of iTunes 11.3.1:
(2) Delete the following iTunes 11.4 components (they will be replaced when you install iTunes 11.3.1) by dragging them to the Trash:
- /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Library/MobileDevices.bun dle
(3) Some people have had trouble seeing the contents of the CoreTypes.bundle to get to the MobileDevices.bundle. You can access it this way:
- In the Finder, select Go To Folder under the Go To menu (or Shift+ Cmd+ G)
- Type in: /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Library/
- The MobileDevices.bundle will be displayed; drag it to the Trash.
(4) Empty your Trash.
(5) Install iTunes 11.3.1, and go back to living your life. Remember, do not upgrade to iTunes 11.4 again until you're certain the bug has been resolved.
iPhone 5s, iOS 8