Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to delete a single message using iOS 8

how can I delete a single message in iOS 8

iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 18, 2014 12:08 PM

31 replies

Sep 20, 2014 1:04 PM in response to Geezer4765

Hey Geezer4765,

I have an article for you that can explain how to accomplish this:

Manage conversations - iPhone

http://help.apple.com/iphone/8/#/iphf2d85437

• Delete a message. Touch and hold a message or attachment, tap More, select additional items if desired, then tap User uploaded file.
  • Delete a conversation. In the Messages list, swipe the conversation to the left, then tap Delete.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Have a good one!

-Braden

Sep 20, 2014 4:05 PM in response to Geezer4765

Press and hole the message in which you would like to delete, click "More", then click the trash can in the bottom left hand corner of the messaging screen. In the "More" mode, you are able to select multiple messages (you click them, then a tick appears next to them, meaning they will be deleted when you hit the trash item).

Please rate this post if it helped.

Sep 22, 2014 8:06 PM in response to Geezer4765

It is amazing to me how many people don't even read the original post. This clearly is a bug as there was always a trash can in iOS 7. I have even had it with the new iPhone using iOS 8, but now the trash can is gone.

I hope Apple fixes this soon as many people do not want to delete the entire conversation, only part of it.

One suggestion was to turn your phone off and back on again. Only thing is, that is a temporary fix if it works. Apple needs to fix it.

Sep 22, 2014 8:15 PM in response to jam75

jam75 wrote:

It is amazing to me how many people don't even read the original post. This clearly is a bug as there was always a trash can in iOS 7. I have even had it with the new iPhone using iOS 8, but now the trash can is gone.

It still works fine for me with iOS 8. What troubleshooting steps have you taken? Have you tried resetting your device by pressing and holding the Home button and power button until the silver apple appears?

Sep 23, 2014 5:20 AM in response to jam75

jam75 wrote:

Yes, as indicated in my message. After searching the internet, it seems I am not the only one that has this problem. Constant powering your device down and restarting is not the answer.

Yes, if I search the internet, I can find someone has a problem with everything. You did not, in your post, say you had reset your phone. Turning your phone on and off is not the same as resetting it. And, I was not suggesting constant powering down your device and restarting it. I was suggesting resetting it to see if that resolved the issue. A simple reset solves a great number of issues. If it doesn't, it's time to go on to the next steps: restoring your device from back up, then restore from new. Or, sit on your thumbs, assuming it's a "bug" that will get fixed in some future update without any action on your part.

Sep 23, 2014 6:12 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

The phone has been "reset" using the power and home button simultaneously without solving the problem. I have done this many times in the past with other phones. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't.

i am sure I won't have to "sit on my thumbs" for long...past history shows that Apple will release an update. This issue may be addressed, or then again, it may not. If enough people send feedback, there is a good chance it will be fixed.

How to delete a single message using iOS 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.