Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

EU Internet Bug

There is a new feature in iOS 8 in cellular settings called EU Internet. It is supposed to work as described below.

Problem is it doesn't! I'm just back from

Roaming in Spain and if you select EU on with data roaming off or on data stops working.

The only way you can get internet is to turn EU off.

------

There is a helpful option in Cellular settings when traveling in the EU. Tap on Settings > Cellular and set Data Roaming to On to make the new option beneath it, labelled EU Internet, available. Set that to On and then set the Data Roaming feature back to off. You’ll now be able to use the iOS device when roaming in the European Union, but not other parts of the world. Apple is introducing this feature because the European Union is working towards a ban on roaming charges for calls, texts and data to benefit its citizens, starting December 2015. This may reduce the cost to visitors, but check with your carrier to see whether it will impose any extra fees of its own.

Posted on Sep 18, 2014 5:49 PM

18 replies

Sep 21, 2014 9:26 AM in response to pagemakers4

Hey there Pagemakers4,

It sounds like you are unable to connect to connect to the EU Internet when you have the function enabled. I would recommend the Cellular data troubleshooting article that follows to help resolve it:

iPhone: Troubleshooting a cellular data connection

1. Toggle airplane mode: Tap Settings, turn airplane mode on, wait three seconds, and then turn off again.
  2. Restart your iPhone.
  3. Make sure that your software is up to date:
  4. Remove the SIM Card and reinsert it. Allow the iPhone to acquire the network again.
  5. If your SIM card has SIM PIN enabled, try turning it off: Tap Settings > Phone > SIM PIN.
  6. Try another location. If a different location works, but the original location still doesn't, contact your carrier to report the issue.
  7. Reset network settings: Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.
  8. Restore the iPhone as new.
  9. Contact your carrier to:
    • Verify that the iPhone is properly set up on the account with the appropriate, current data plan.
    • Verify that there are no account-related blocks.
    • Find out if there are specific error messages in the carrier logs that could help determine why the issue is occurring.

If none of the above steps resolves the issue, contact your carrier, make an appointment at an Apple Retail Store, or contact AppleCare to troubleshoot further.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

All the very best,

Sterling

Sep 21, 2014 4:06 PM in response to pagemakers4

The way I've seen it described every where you'll need your "Data Roaming" enabled as well for it to work. The 'EU Internet' just swaps the phone mode for roaming, notionally so you get cheaper internet just very few countries have any provider that implements it yet.

In more detail :

As I understand it, it tweaks the phone settings(APN) to use a different network for data within the local EU country that should be much cheaper than the deal your home network has in place. Problem is I don't think any of the major EU countries have an euinternet network yet. Mostly because the law change doesn't come in to effect until Dec 2015. Here is an example on LBO(Local Break Out) as it is called which you have to be able to do on your phone as of July 2014.

http://www.telewiki.nl/Local_Break_Out

Quick look on twitter (https://twitter.com/hashtag/euinternet) suggests only Slovenia has support by Tusmobil

Sep 30, 2014 11:34 AM in response to pagemakers4

hey. Got the same issue as pagemakers4. When the EU internet is switched on (green) the data doesn´t work annaymore.

my network provider is orange FR and I am also in spain.

I don´t have extra costs when I use data in Europe (4G or lesser). It is included.

It is clear to me that this option is very confusing and not user friendly. Coz I am in europe, I therefore think I gotta switch the EU option ON and, as a consequence, I lose all data connection BUT in the meantime, the iphone still displays the 4G (or 3G or Edge depending where I am) icon on the screen.............

I have become mad until I read this post:(((

thank you pagemakers4, I got my head back now 😝

Oct 28, 2014 9:20 AM in response to pagemakers4

I rather think that the UI is getting less intuitive. The designers should think more about how complex settings can be presented. In this case, for example, I would make a 3-way choice out of the 2 on/off buttons: Data Roaming: Disabled/Enabled only in the EU/Enabled globally.

This turn-roaming-on-enable-eu-roaming-turn-roaming-off is nothing more than a hack that noone can understand without deep technical insight.

Nov 5, 2014 8:38 AM in response to pagemakers4

Same issue here. I travel a bit and had the issue last week in Holland and today in Germany. After chatting with O2 support I noticed that EUinternet was in the cellular data APN field whereas visual voicemail etc were still showing the O2 credentials. turned off Eu option and O2 settings were back in cellular data. Now back to normal! Im not sure if this is a bug or the fact countries just don't have this APN established, it seemed weird that there was no username or password populated for EU internet however....

Mar 13, 2015 1:44 AM in response to pagemakers4

Thank you for this! I've been going mad with it. I've now turned EU roaming off and it works in Spain, Hungary and Estonia. I'd hate to imagine how many people have fallen foul of this. The strange thing is, only my web browser would work on my iPhone, and nothing else. Again I couldn't check email on the web browser either. It was all very odd....

Jun 19, 2015 8:20 AM in response to pagemakers4

I am in Croatia with an Orange Spanish siim in an Australian unlocked iPhone 6, global roaming activated. Just spent 20 mins on the phone with Orange in Spain to get my cellular data working. They had no idea. Found this page, turned EU Internet off, all working fine now. It's a bug, Apple should fix it! EU providers should be told it's a problem so they can warn their customers!!! Very frustrating....

EU Internet Bug

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.