Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two iPhones ringing same time

Synced both my wife's and my phone to my Macbook to update to iOS 8 tonight. Both appear good to go. Five minutes ago, someone called my wife's phone and both our phones rang. Checked in the FaceTime settings and the appropriate boxes are checked for each phone. Still, her's appears to be forwarding to mine.

I shut off her phone, called it from the house line and mine did not ring. Only appears to be issue when her's is on. For the life of me, cannot figure out what needs to be changed in the settings.

Posted on Sep 18, 2014 7:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2014 11:23 AM

If both devices are sharing the same Apple ID and are on the same Wi-Fi network, this is what will happen. It is part of continuity. Go into Settings>Facetime>iPhone Cellular calls, and turn that off. This will only occur when both devices are logged into the same Apple ID and Wi-Fi network.

26 replies

Oct 3, 2014 9:44 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

You are the only one among 4 Verizon techs and 1 Apple tech who understood the problem which led to the solution. IOS 8 is new and the feature of having your iPhone ring on your iPad is new but Apple dropped the ball when not telling those on Family Sharing Plans, who also share the same Apple ID, and who are using the same wifi network, that ALL of their devices may ring if just one of their phones is called. Using your advice I turned off "iPhone Cellular Calls" on every phone but mine and the problem was finally solved.

Oct 20, 2014 1:21 PM in response to mml1012

They are. If you use the same Apple ID on multiple devices for Messages & FaceTime, you will get message/call crossover.

Each individual person should always be using their own unique Apple ID for iCloud, iMessage & FaceTime.

Frequently asked questions about Apple ID

Can I share my Apple ID with someone else?

You shouldn't share your Apple ID account information with other people. Each person should have their own Apple ID.

Two iPhones ringing same time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.