Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iPhone 6 - with wabbly mute button

Just picked up my new iPhone 6 128G Grey from our local Apple Store (fantastic reservation system). Whilst the unit is solid and like past iPhones, I noticed the muted button is wabbly in both on and the off positions (straight out of the box). Most uncharacteristic of Apple and iPhone products.

Anyone else seeing similar on their 6 devices?

I strongly suspect it's a manufacturing/component issue but is interested in knowing how widespread or if it's even a norm for the unit.

Already have a Genius appointment for Sunday and will see what they have to say.

OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), iPhone 6 / iPad 2

Posted on Sep 18, 2014 7:54 PM

26 replies

Sep 22, 2014 9:12 PM in response to vikingck

The Genius Bar member secured a replacement unit for me but it also had the wobbly button. So I told him that it's not appropriate for me to make the exchange at this point. I'll come back again when either they have fixed the manufacturing process/component or Apple takes an official position on it. I keep forgetting to check the iPhones on display in the Apple Store. Still have no good sense of how prevalent the issue is, or if it's even considered to be within spec.

Sep 24, 2014 12:23 PM in response to SoGood

Just returned my iPhone 6 64gb to apple store because of a wobbly mute button the genius said it shouldn't be like that and exchanged it but the replacement also had a wobble the genius said it wasn't as much as the wobble I originally had. To be quite honest apple support at their call centre didn't know of the problem. All the models on display in the store have wobbly mute buttons too.

Also on the replacement phone the protruding camera has a bit of movement. It is very slight but it is definitely there. I might just return the phone and wait until christmas to get one without these defects. My iphone 5 was perfect when I bought it as soon as it came out.

Sep 28, 2014 4:51 AM in response to SoGood

As promised, my report: Yesterday I visited the German Apple Store in Dusseldorf. They replace my iPhone (luckily they had mine Silver, 64GB, 4.7 inch in stock). I got an invoice over 0€ on which a repair for 239,50€ (without tax) is written.

Now on the new device the mute button is just fine and has no problems. However, today I noticed that I can move the home button slightly back and forth also the Touch ID metal ring is sharp-edged. I will visit the store in a few weeks again, hope to get this repaired as well.

It seems that the devices of the first production series are really badly quality tested. :-(

Sep 28, 2014 4:59 AM in response to m33x

Hey,

had my second Genius Bar appointment and they replaced my iphone 6 again so this is my third one! This time instead of a swap they did a retail return and re-sale so they gave me a new phone out of the new batch of iphone that they would have sold to walk in customers. This one has no issues with the mute button its stiffer and doesn't wiggme in the on or off position. I've taken out apple care just in case as my 14 day grace period will end before I get another appointment if anything should go wrong.

Much happier with this one!

New iPhone 6 - with wabbly mute button

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.