Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

smb fix mavericks 10.9.5 breaks SMB connectivity to my Windows 8.1 PC

Yesterday I read about the update to fix the SMB issues.

Since I was never able to reliable network to my windows 8.1 machines I was really happy hoping for a fix.

The SMB fix in 10.9.5 has dramatically worsened my situation.

Before the update the connectivity was failing very 20-40 minutes or so.

After the update the connectivity to my Windows 8.1 machine is failing within minutes.

Basically I have lost the ability to connect to my Windows PC from my Mac.

Also the Microsoft Remote Desktop Software is practically not usable anymore on my MAC

I have to change my workflow now and replace my Mac Book Air with an old Windows Notebook to workaround.

Very big disappointment and frustration.

Is there anything I can do to fix this?

If yosimite is not doing the trick I am forced to replace my macbook air with a Windows Notebook.

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Sep 18, 2014 8:00 PM

9 replies

Sep 20, 2014 12:26 PM in response to MartinKli

Beginning with OS X 10.9.2, SMB connections to Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 (which use SMB 3.02) have been flakey, and we've continued to use the SMB 1 workaround (connecting via CIFS:// from our Macs). See http://macsmbissues.com and 10.9.2 Mavericks and can no longer connect to our SMB file share on the network. for more info, but it appears that Apple continues to deny the existence of this problem. The people at that macsmbissues web site have apparently given up, as have we. I guess we'll have to see if OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) fixes it, but I'm not holding my breath.

Oct 20, 2014 2:13 AM in response to PleasantSpectrum

Dear PleasantSpectrum,

your evaluation would be of great interest to me, because I testet the new Mac OS X 10.10 with our Windows 2008 R2 Server. The problem stayed the same. The Windows ACLs will be corrupted as soon as a new user logs in and the folders Desktop and Documents are created in the home directory of the server. As soon as the are created one does not have access to them anymore. E.g. if one created a file or a folder on the desktop, it just disappears after a few seconds.

Oct 23, 2014 8:55 PM in response to madadmin

Yosemity did not improve the situation fundamentally.

It seems that the connection to my Synology NAS could have improved a bit. It already worked better than the server which is based on Windows.

The connectivity to my Windows Server is still broken and does not work.

I am very disappointed and have to get rid of my Macbook Air because I cannot tolerate keeping my productivity low.

Oct 24, 2014 12:44 AM in response to PleasantSpectrum

It depends on how you connect your Apple Yosemite Client to the Windows 2008 R2 oder 2012 R2 Server. We locate the users "local home directory" on the Windwos server. After the first user login a Desktop, Download and Library Folder (others follow) are created by the client. With Mavericks 10.9.5 all Windows ACLs will be corrupted by the Apple OS with the effect that files or folders which are created on the Desktop or in the Download folder just disappear. Mavericks tells you that your library has to be repaired. But trying to repair does not lead to a solution and the failure message comes up again. With Yosemite the Windows ACLs of the Library Folder are not corrupted, so the failure message regarding library repair does not show up - but the rest stays stays the same. It could be mentioned that it is possible to redelegate the Windows rights that access to the folders is possible again, but this could only be a temporary solution, because we have to create a lot of accounts on and on for guest scientists visiting our institution. We connect the Apple clients to our Windows Server 2003 R2 and 2008 R2 since Mac OS X 10.4. with no or minor problems - but this here is a real pain in the .. and I would like Apple to fix this finally soon! 😠

smb fix mavericks 10.9.5 breaks SMB connectivity to my Windows 8.1 PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.