Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone6 touchscreen problems

Just got my new iPhone6/64GB/SpaceGrey/iOS8.0 and see two issues

1. The touchscreen becomes completely unresponsive now and then. It stops responding, other functions of the phone work fine (i.e. sleep button), home button, even the cursor keeps blinking if entering text). The only option is to press the home button and relaunch the app OR lock the phone and unlock it again

2. around 10-20% left side of the screen is completely unresponsive. I literally had to test this with a drawing app and found that I am not able to "paint" a portion of the screen. This causes issues when using the keyboard as well - (I cannot use the 0 or the P keys)User uploaded file

Regards,

Sumeet

Melbourne, Australia

Posted on Sep 18, 2014 11:52 PM

134 replies

Dec 20, 2017 7:50 AM in response to holyzod

I got my iphone 6 in June 2015. It began to stop working down the middle of the key pad off and on immediately. I was unable to deal with it right away but did take it into the Verizon store twice where it worked in the store. But shortly thereafter it stopped altogether. To say I hate this phone would be an understatement. I have a bedridden sick child that prevents me from running to stores. I have to voice text or not at all. hard resets do nothing.

Sep 19, 2014 9:43 PM in response to holyzod

Got the i phone 6, space grey 64MB also today and both left and right sides of the screen are at times not very responsive to touch or the touch has to be very exact.. I did put a skin on the screen but never before has an iPhone acted like this even before the skin completely dries. On the keyboard both the A and the L are not sensing touch well. Earlier I couldn't scroll from either side but the middle worked fine. Been using the phone 3 hours now and seems to be improving a bit or maybe I'm compensating.

Anyone else noting the same issue as we two?

Sep 20, 2014 12:23 AM in response to holyzod

iPhone 6 Plus 128 GB Silver Verizon

Seeing the exact same thing (partially unresponsive "spots" on the touchscreen.) In my case, the upper left of the screen seems to be the worst affected, requiring me to forcibly push it to get it to register, although I have also seen this happen sometimes on the lower portion of the screen, around the A/L keys, delete button and the space bar.

Have tried power cycling the phone, that seems to work for a while but then it starts happening again.

I too thought it was my screen protector so I removed it but it is still occurring, so I don't think that's it.

A quick question to everyone who is experiencing this issue: did you restore from an iTunes/iCloud backup or did you NOT restore from backup and set up your phone as if it were new ("clean install" style)? I restored from backup and am wondering if somehow my backup contained corrupted/weird data that is causing this. (I have had other weird things happen in the past that got solved by doing a complete wipe and running through the whole "new phone" setup procedure)

Sep 20, 2014 1:23 AM in response to Martin_BY

I restored from Backup, but it is only a guess as to if this has made any difference in the problem being observed by all of us. I was on the phone signing up for AppleCare Plus for iPhone when I mentioned to the AppleCare Representative that I was seeing a recurring problem with the edge of the touch screen being non-responsive. I told her that I didn't think it was just my typing but rather a problem that others would soon be reporting in volume across the Apple Support Communities. This Tread is the first that I have seen others experiencing it. I have no idea if this is a one-off iPhone display issue that would be solved by trading the device for another one, or if this is a model-wide issue that will have to be addressed in future iOS releases. In any case, I am actually happy to see that it just wasn't my fat fingers.

Sep 20, 2014 1:33 AM in response to holyzod

I have the same issue. the touchscreen it stop responding intermittently and only in particular spots mainly around the edges of the phone. I initially thought it may just be me getting used to the new size but the issue has become frequent and recurring.

I've got the 64gb/space grey/iOS 8.0 I restored from a backup which looks like most people did. i've taken it back to the apple store to see if I can get it under a DOA they were able to replicate the issue. I'm getting it replaced once they have the stock, i'll let you know if I get the same issue once its replaced.

Sep 20, 2014 1:43 AM in response to Tealwolf

Another reset and I checked for the "a" and "shift" when entering the WiFi-Passkey. It works.

Then I chose to setup it as a new device and from the first impressions, the keyboard works just fine. Now I need to install some apps to test it.

I don't like the fact that I need to configure it from the scratch, because after several years with my iPhones, that will be a lot of work. But if that's what it takes....

Sep 20, 2014 3:01 AM in response to holyzod

Update: I did a complete wipe of the device and set it up as a new device rather than restore from backup. So far in my limited testing the touchscreen seems to be acting like it should, i.e. no dead spots. Currently in the process of syncing some apps along with music, movies, etc. so we shall see if it continues to behave itself.

iPhone6 touchscreen problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.