Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios8 update music app not working

music app not working after ios8 update

iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 19, 2014 9:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2014 5:58 AM

I have a similar issue, but I don't think it's the app. It appears to be the music. I tried playing my music and movies, they begin to open as if to play but then just skip and go to the next song/video. They keep going through this process until I've scrolled to a song actually purchased through itunes. Most of my music isn't from apple. and none of it will play on the iphone 5s since updating to ios8 (all work find on my ipad mini retina also updated to ios8)

I've tried:

deleting all the music and resyncing through itunes, but the process just happens again

restoring from local itunes backup

One More thing... Just to complicate things further the music and videos work fine just after the upgrade/restore. This situation only happens after one or two sync's with itunes. Specifically at one point itunes shows "syncing artwork" message in the window showing sync status, once this happens the problems start.

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2014 5:58 AM in response to steamboat14

I have a similar issue, but I don't think it's the app. It appears to be the music. I tried playing my music and movies, they begin to open as if to play but then just skip and go to the next song/video. They keep going through this process until I've scrolled to a song actually purchased through itunes. Most of my music isn't from apple. and none of it will play on the iphone 5s since updating to ios8 (all work find on my ipad mini retina also updated to ios8)

I've tried:

deleting all the music and resyncing through itunes, but the process just happens again

restoring from local itunes backup

One More thing... Just to complicate things further the music and videos work fine just after the upgrade/restore. This situation only happens after one or two sync's with itunes. Specifically at one point itunes shows "syncing artwork" message in the window showing sync status, once this happens the problems start.

Sep 20, 2014 7:55 AM in response to Nickstick11

yeah nickstick11 mines is similar the music is still all there but when I hit the play button it jumps back to the start of the song and no sound at all, have you found any solutions? I was talking to apple support they said it could be the app no longer exists but I'm pretty sure it worked after all the iOS 7 updates so I'm holding onto it hoping for a update or a solution I think personally it's the iOS 8 update as it worked the past two years !! So why would it just stop now !! Good luck and hit me up if you get any joy

tthank you

Sep 20, 2014 1:23 PM in response to steamboat14

The restore to 7.1.2 completed and after all the apps, music and videos downloaded they worked fine (even after multiple itunes sync cycles)

I can only conclude that the problem has to do with the iphone 5s release of ios8 since the ipad version works fine. I'm currently trying to see what happens when I run the upgrade on my iphone 4s.

I did speak with apple support, and was told that they don't have any reports of this issue now or a solution. And that I had already downgraded to 7.1.2 they wouldn't be able to help me at all. They recommended I perform the upgrade again and if the problem reoccurs to contact them again.

Also, as to the question of downgrading ios. Apple continues to sign the previous version of an ios release for a period of time after the initial release of a new ios. They do this to allow people having problems just like this to revert to the previous "gold standard" version. This "grace period" usually last maybe a week, but there are no guarantees on how long. If you think you want to downgrade I'd recommend doing it now, then waiting until a newer release is available. Hopefully they work out the kinks by then.

Sep 23, 2014 7:50 AM in response to techvader1

Firstly, There are two separate issues here. One using the "Music" app (meaning the apple music app) and the other being the "Music" app (Free music download app from Alfadevs)

The problem I am dealing with revolves around the Apple Music App not the Free Music app by Alfadevs. I believe that steamboat14 and Jodiba92 are using the free music app.

That said, I've done some more testing I've confirmed the following:

• This is occuring on iphone 4s, 5s, and ipad mini retina
  • the issue seems limited to ios8 (i downgraded to 7.1.2 as a test and the problem went away)
  • Only non itunes purchased music seems to be effected
  • This happens only after several sync cycles between the device and itunes.

specifically this happens after message in the sync status window "syncing artwork...."

• Syncing again to itunes after all the non-itunes/apple music has been played through (skipped) will result in the music being re-synced back onto the device (only music that has been "skipped" by the player will be resynced)
  • I've purchased and run the application Tuneup which is supposed to "clean" music files in the itunes library. I've run through all my music and "cleaned it" resulting in a much nicer itunes library however it seems to have had no effect on the problem.

I can only conclude that this is a result of some strange interaction between itunes 11.4.0.18, ios8 and non itunes purchased music.

Sep 24, 2014 4:22 AM in response to Nickstick11

I wanted to add something here that may or may not be accurate, since I was suffering the exact same issues (on an iPhone 6+, and replicated on an iPhone 5 patched to 8.0) you were describing Nick. In an effort to trouble shoot this I picked up one of the third party tools that allows you onto the iOS device file system. I've been trying since Friday night to reproduce the conditions that cause the issue but haven't quite narrowed it down. Including this here in case the Engineers are poking around in the discussion boards and are trying to reproduce this.

This is an iPhone 6+ running 8.0 (12A366) connecting physically to iTunes 11.4 on a MBP running 10.9.5 (13F34; fully patched).

Here's what I did last night and this seems to have worked (meaning, I can sync music now without issue at least for syncs this morning; will confirm tonight by syncing again):

1. Turned off iTunes Match on the iTunes library I am syncing from
  2. Unchecked all non-AAC music files (Apple lossless and MPEG audio both; these were just flat out refusing to copy over, claiming to have copied but coming up with the exclamation point when accessed on the device via iTunes; none of these lossless or mp3 files have been an issue in any previous version of iOS, meaning they are all of the correct sample and bitrate to be used and can sync to other devices in the household running iOS 7)
  3. Removed all music from the iOS device (by deselecting music syncing)
  4. Hard rebooted the iOS device after disconnecting it; rebooted the iTunes library host
  5. Reconnected the iOS device and fired up the third party app (this is the part I do not recommend, but I was eager to try to figure out what the root cause was)
  6. Removed the iTunes library files on iOS (this is something I had done between other factory resets earlier to force the iOS device to rebuild the library; to rule out library corruption)
  7. Removed any "music" folders remaining on the iOS device (this is also something I had done a few times which had had no effect)
  8. Removed any saved artwork (this was something I had not done before, but I too had noticed a strange correlation between it stopping working and the artwork being synced)
  9. Disconnected and rebooted the iOS device again (forcing a recreation of the iTunes library database files)
  10. Reconnected the device and started syncing small playlists (50-100 songs). In increments it all seems to be syncing up now without issue

The two new steps this time around that seem, at least at initial glance, to have solved the problem are stopping syncing any non-AAC music media files and the deletion of the existing artwork folders on the iOS device. Syncing appears to be working, even after disconnecting and reconnecting the device.

Sep 24, 2014 3:49 PM in response to Nickstick11

I am having a similar issue on my iPod touch (5g) and iPhone 5. I upgraded both my iPod and iPhone on Wednesday 9/17, and both worked fine until after this weekend -- when I synced new MP3s and updated playlists to both devices.

The iPod is new (<1 month) and I am trying to find a music app that will allow me to queue multiple playlists and crossfade songs. About 80% of the music apps I've tried this week either crash (immediately or after playing a few songs) or simply won't open. One app I found (and like very much) was working flawlessly before iOS8 -- until I started using it this week. Now it just crashes -- sometimes after 15 tracks, sometimes after 5 -- so much that I can't even use it.

Also, if I go into Settings > General > Usage > Manage Storage and touch Music, the Settings app crashes on both the iPod and iPhone.

Oct 1, 2014 8:50 PM in response to steamboat14

Hi Group- I am having the SAME EXACT PROBLEM! I followed the same steps as mention before, (thank you BurnTheSource) and it still did not fix my issue. I think it is two separate issues- one being the syncing issue with artwork in iTunes (also issue syncing with WiFi- just keeps trying to find my phone). And the other with the Music App on the phone .

I am surprised that this hasn't been addressed yet by the media or other users...I bet "Bend-Gate 2014" is overshadowing this issue. LOL people are so concerned that they phones might bend- they haven't even turned the phone on to see if it plays all their music yet! haha. I still love Apple though, I know they will get this fixed soon.

Oct 21, 2014 9:54 AM in response to steamboat14

I am having the same exact problem described throughout this thread with my iPhone 6+ on iOS 8.1. It's been happening ever since I upgraded to iOS 8. I've performed two full restores, reformatted my computer to a clean install of Yosemite on iTunes 12.1, recreated the iTunes music database, updated album artwork, and nothing works.

Has anyone identified a solution as of yet, or are we just waiting for an update?

ios8 update music app not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.