Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why has PocketMoney by Catamount (which I purchased in 2011) been removed from app store?

Why has PocketMoney by Catamount (which I purchased in 2011) been removed from app store?

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.1), mac mail version 5

Posted on Sep 19, 2014 11:23 AM

20 replies

Sep 19, 2014 12:05 PM in response to walterfromkuttawa

I'm having the same issue. I recently did a restore from iCloud backup on my phone and it was unable to install PocketMoney because it could not find it in the app store. I purchased this app in 2011 and have years and years worth of data in it. I can still see the PocketMoney data file backed up on iCloud but I have no way of getting my data without the app. I do not have a iTunes backup of the app and I do not see it in my purchased history. I called Apple about getting the app back for me since I had paid for it and they said because the developer has removed it, there is nothing they can do other than reaching out the developer. They did offer a refund but that does me no good as the app/data in the app were much more valuable to me than $4.99. I sent the developer an email but no response. Looks like we might be SOL. 😠

Sep 20, 2014 11:17 AM in response to tarang1022

Same problem - got my iPhone 6, restored my apps and settings and it's gone. Of course I already reformatted the old iPhone for Gazelle. Hardy Macia, the developer, passed away a year or two ago and no one kept the company going as far as I can tell. I think it got dropped from the app store for inactivity or something related to that. Bummer as I too had lots of data, including current transactions, which I backed up before upgrading my phone. Of course, without access to the app, the backup is worthless. Anyone have suggestions on a replacement app (even if it means re-entering the last month's worth of transactions by hand)? I tried a few of the apps on the app store and frankly they are mostly crap and only one or two actually let you balance a checkbook (the main reason I used PocketMoney). Very frustrating.

Sep 22, 2014 7:48 AM in response to JRE72

I spoke with Apple Support yesterday and according to Apple, the developer pulled the app (not Apple) so it is no longer available in the store. I found a decent replacement but still had to recreate the last month's transactions and without the app, there is no way to restore the backup or get to the backup in iCloud to do anything with it. The replacement I found was Pocket Expense. I tried several apps yesterday and this was the cleanest and easiest to use. Works on iPad and iPhone (the interface is slightly different on both but makes sense in each context). I reached out to catamount but no response. I think they are officially closed. Sad since I had been using that app from day one on my Newton.

Nov 9, 2014 5:05 AM in response to walterfromkuttawa

Check this link:

http://www.catamount.com/blog/

Because of that, Pocket Money is not update/supported anymore. There are some rumors on the Net that indicates someone else has take over catamount, but I don´t believe it before there is a new release.PocketMoney has not been updated since IOS 6. Unfortunately, it look like we all have to look for alternatives. :-(

Dec 17, 2014 6:51 AM in response to walterfromkuttawa

Catamount software was a one-person company, run by Hardy Marcia. Sadly, he died at a young age in 2013, here is his obituary: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/concordmonitor/obituary.aspx?n=harland-arthur-m acia-hardy&pid=165055870. He was a great app developer.

I have extensively searched for and tried practically every money management app out there to replace it. I had major problems with PocketMoney & iOS 8, but subsequent updates to 8 have corrected that. I only experience a crash when switching accounts, which I have come to expect. I even bought a high-end version of Quicken only to abandon it, and its companion iOS app. Quicken does things its own way and you waste too much time trying to get data imported and usable the way you want it.

I still use PocketMoney every day, but also use MoneyWiz by Silerwiz. I was a beta tester for their upcoming V2. There are still a lot of things that only PocketMoney has, like classes and posting future transactions in gray so you will see your cash flow (mine is set for 61 days out), and syncing between devices with images included. However, the company behind MoneyWiz takes their product very seriously and I think it will be around for a long time. Eventually an iOS update will make PocketMoney unusable. If you can get your data out of PocketMoney, MoneyWiz has instructions for importing the data and it comes over very well.

I keep hoping a software company will see the value of PocketMoney, buy it and bring it back. My guess is that Catamount is technically owned by his estate, and would be of value to his family to sell.

The best advice is to backup frequently with the iTunes desktop software. I trust a wired connection more than than WiFi.

Dec 17, 2014 8:25 AM in response to tim53

TIm53, thanks for sharing so much useful information about alternatives to pocket money and your personal views. i believe my pocket money data is still in icloud but i do not know where it is stored or how to download it to run with MoneWiz as an example. can you offer me some help on this? I went back to my purchased apps on itunes and couldn't find pocket money in my library 😟

thanks!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.