Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Syncing Apps to iPhone 6 / 6 Plus Stuck

I just got an iPhone 6 Plus this morning on launch day. I backed up my iPhone 5S and then hooked my 6 Plus in and restored from backup. After it was done restoring from backup and starting syncing all my apps, pictures, etc., to my 6 Plus, it gets stuck on the part where its syncing apps. It hangs after the first app or 2 leaving you hopelessly stuck at "Copying 1/102 Apps". I have tried simply canceling the sync by clicking the X under devices in iTunes. Unfortunately, this will pop up a window under iTunes that says something to the effect of "Completing Sync" and there it hangs endlessly, forcing you to force quit out of iTunes and try again. But even after trying again, it will still get stuck after 2 or 3 apps.

Is anyone else having this issue? Found a fix to this? Please let me know.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8, Current phone

Posted on Sep 19, 2014 2:19 PM

163 replies

Sep 19, 2014 2:24 PM in response to tonibear817

Ihave the same issue, it hangs up after just a few transfers from and iTunes back up. I downloaded and reinstalled iTunes 11.4, restartd the iMac and the iPHone 6. My wife's iPhone did not have any problems but this iPhone has the issue. I think I am out of the things I can do locally except to restor the phone back to factory basics and try again.

Jay

Sep 19, 2014 3:15 PM in response to Jay Kappmeier

I called Apple. The tech rep said he did have a few calls about this issue today. Apple is not aware of any software issues with iTunes or the iPhone 6 but there may be some small issues yet discovered. They suggested I get on WiFi and go to the App Store. From there go to Purchased Apps and download your apps from there. It is slower than iTunes but seems to be working for me. It is slow but at least it is progressing.

Jay

Sep 19, 2014 3:38 PM in response to tonibear817

I too am having this same problem. I found the following advice on another site. I tried Solution 1 and it appears to be working, but painfully slow, as it copies my photos and music to my new phone. (Old phone was 5s and I backed it up to both iCloud and my Mac before activating my new 6.)

My in-house WiFi is pretty fast, but it is going to take a LONG time for this synch to complete.

Solution 1: SYNC OVER WI-FI. Simply go into devices and see if "Sync with this iPhone over Wi-Fi" is checked off. If it's not, select it and hit apply. After that, restart iTunes and force quit if you have to. Then connect the computer and your iPhone to the same Wi-Fi network and reboot iTunes. (Without your iPhone 6 plugged in via lightning cable!!). Now attempt to sync. It will be slightly slower than directly connecting, but this seems to work OK. It will put all the music, apps and photos onto your new iPhone 6 and you'll be good to go.

Solution 2: DISABLE SYNC OVER WI-FI. If sync over Wi-FI is already checked off, uncheck it and hit Apply. Then restart as in Solution 1. But before you begin syncing by plugging in your lightning cable, turn the phone into Airplane Mode and turn WiFi off. This will make sure it definitely uses the cable and doesn't get confused and hang up. For many people, this little trick seems to work and all the apps will begin being synced.

Sep 19, 2014 5:01 PM in response to Randall Phillips

Update - I had been stalled at updating 1 of 100 or 2 of 99. I tried the fix of putting the phone in airplane mode, disbabling Wifi sync, and starting again. This seemed to work but the hang appeared again after 30 apps were installed. I managed to complete the installation by force quoting and restarting after the hang.

I noticed that the apps were installed but settings were not carried forward. All previous data is lost. I considered updating from backup again but iTunes now says the phone has never been backed up.

Sep 19, 2014 6:22 PM in response to tonibear817

I had the same problem, but also noticed that there were app updates needing to be downloaded to iTunes. Once I updated all of those apps and checked for additional updates, I restarted the restore from backup process. So far so good. (I have over 400 apps so it will take a while, but for the past half hour, since getting to the syncing apps phase, it's been going steady.

Sep 19, 2014 6:32 PM in response to tonibear817

Hello everyone.

I'm experiencing the same issue with my wife's iphone6 plus. My iphone 6 synced flawlessly.

It seems that the problem comes with osx 10.9.5.

I tried on both my wife's Imac and mine (both with osx 10.9.5) and couldn't get the apps to sync. I tried on my macbook which I did not update and is still under 10.9.4 and i'm able to sync the apps without problems.

Is everyone experiencing this issue under 10.9.5? Maybe this is the catch.

Sep 19, 2014 6:45 PM in response to JLoScott

For this last operation the backup was made on the 5s in airplane mode because ad soon as I connected it to the macbook, it tried to sync to the Imac in wifi.

The original backup on the Imac was done with cable and wifi on.

And before the daily backup was made either by cable or wifi, depending where my wife would recharge her phone.

Syncing Apps to iPhone 6 / 6 Plus Stuck

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.