Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 Plus problem - stuck volume button

Just got my 6 Plus - the volume up button randomly sticks and either turns the volume all the way up or the ringer. Worse - if I press on the upper-right corner it does the same thing. Seems like a bad board. Anyone else seeing this or did I just get a bum unit? On hold with Apple Care as I type this.... Disappointing end to an exciting day.

Posted on Sep 19, 2014 4:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2014 1:37 PM

I Had this problem with my iPhone 6 just now. It only effected my volume (constantly raising the volume). A restart fixed it. Seemd like a software problem as the buttons physically seemed ok.

28 replies

Sep 24, 2014 1:26 AM in response to somegoodpixels

Same problem here with an iPhone 6 and the volume-down button. It's intermittent, but when it happens it acts like the volume-down button is stuck. The volume goes all the way down to muted and you can't turn it back up. You have to reboot the phone.

I can't tell whether it's a hardware or software problem, but Ted Pruitt's description above very much suggests hardware. I think I'll get Vodafone to give me a new device just in case.

Sep 24, 2014 4:18 AM in response to Richard Emerson

Just as a final follow-up on this issue - I received the new phone yesterday. The first thing I noticed was that this new phone didn't get anywhere near as hot during the restore. It's only been a day, of course, but there have been no problems with this new phone at all. I'll report back if anything else crops up - but I'm satisfied at this point that Apple took care of the issue. I suppose when you're cranking out 540,000 phones a day - as has been reported - there are bound to be some physical problems like this show up.

Sep 25, 2014 12:13 PM in response to SergZak

Agree with SergZak - in my case there was definitely a hardware issue - I can see a huge difference in the performance of the new, properly functioning, phone. I think there was likely one little point - solder or otherwise - that was affected by heat and the initial burden of downloading the backup, plus all of the apps, plus all of the photos and video - brought the internal temperature up enough to create the issue.

Chrisemersonnc - this is, in my case, definitely a hardware issue - no amount of reboots will help you - however, in my case, I found that by pinching LIGHTLY on the upper right-hand corner, it stopped the volume constantly turning up and at least allowed me to use the phone. If you find the same symptoms - definitely contact Apple - they were quite helpful (once they had me go through all of the routine things - reboot, reset, restore, setup as new phone...) So prepare to spend a little time on the phone while they escalate you up the ladder.

Good luck!

Oct 17, 2014 8:04 AM in response to Ted Pruitt

Same case here. I was listening to music and all of the sudden the volume increased to maximum without the possibility of going back. It felt like the button was stuck, which it was not the case. I tried to close the application, open again, but it didn't work. Only after restarting the phone.

This looks like a software defect at least i surely hope so.

iPhone 6 Plus problem - stuck volume button

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.