Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Drive upgrade continuously updating in Settings

I have an iPhone 5S and updated to iOS8 yesterday. During the iOS8 setup, I clicked Yes to enable the new iCloud Drive (even though I saw many warnings not to). However, now that my phone has successfully updated to iOS8, when I click in Settings>iCloud, I see a continuous spinning wheel and "Updating" next to iCloud Drive. The update for iCloud Drive has never been completed.

Things I have tried to address this issue:

1) soft reset (holding power button and home button simultaneously).

2) completely erase and restore my phone from an iCloud Backup - when I went through iOS8 setup again, this time I selected No to enabling iCloud Drive. However, once iOS8 was all setup again, Settings>iCloud still showed my iCloud Drive as continuously "updating."

How can I get out of this eternal updating and have iCloud Drive enabled? Is this a symptom of Yosemite's not being released? That is, does everyone who updated to iCloud Drive currently suffer from this same issue? Is there an easy fix that I am overlooking?

Thank you!

iPhone 5s, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 19, 2014 8:31 PM

51 replies

Jun 30, 2017 9:49 AM in response to Ladybug2013

I have had this same problem but when I do all those steps it says to "enter Apple ID and password to turn off find my phone" and then it says incorrect I'd and password, which I know it's not. Also not sure why it's trying to turn off "find my phone" when I followed all the steps you listed to delete my account. Appreciate any help you can give me?

Sep 20, 2014 12:27 PM in response to Ladybug2013

iCloud Drive is only compatible with iOS devices running iOS 8 and Macs running OS X Yosemite, which is not yet available.

As OS X Yosemite is still pre-release (and not yet available) upgrading to iCloud Drive will prevent you from syncing with Clear for Mac until both OS X Yosemite is released and you upgrade to OS X Yosemite," he wrote. "Developers cannot work around the choice made when upgrading to iOS 8, so please make sure you pay close attention to the iCloud Drive screen shown after you update to iOS 8."

Sep 20, 2014 2:21 PM in response to Ladybug2013

TThanks for the response. I went to the Sign Out of Icloud option. Gives two choices . DELETE OR CANCEL. If choose Delete you get a prompt saying " Deleting this account will remove iits data from your IPad". Should I be worried about this? What data will I lose? Other option is a Cancel option which means still stuck with ICloud continuously trying to upgrade - 48 hours now.

Sep 21, 2014 4:16 PM in response to Fat Moses

IIcloud Drive Continuously Upgrading

I have tried closing down all programmes then turning off my IPad leaving it for sometime then turning it back on. Unfortunately this has not solved the problem and now still stuck with ICloud Drive continually trying to upgrade. Used to Back Up via ITunes but this year have backed up via ICloud. Seems is not even possible to delete IOS 8 and go back to IOS7.

Would love to get some advice on whether I should opt to delete my ICloud account. Just want to know what I might lose if I do delete ICloud account and maybe try reloading later. What are the downsides if I delete my ICloud account? Has anyone deleted their ICloud account? I have paid a small amount to increase my storage to 20 GB. I have 11 GB free.

Many thanks

Max

Sep 21, 2014 4:50 PM in response to NewMaxwell

My husband was having this same issue on his iPhone 5S.

I followed Ladybug2013's directions above (which had me very nervous)

To resolve issue with iCloud Drive continuously upgrading:

1. Sign out of iCloud account and confirm delete
  2. Choose keep on my phone (this way, you will not lose anything as you have selected to keep it on your phone.)
  3. Sign back into iCloud account
  4. Choose Merge

iCloud Drive should be off

I then turned it back on and saw the same upgrading wheel running again. I then (out of pure desperation) went back into the iCloud setting and scrolled all the way down to where it said "Advanced" and clicked on "share my location". This took me to another screen where "share my location was turned on and under that was an option labeled "from" --"this device". I clicked on that and it took me to another screen which said the phone's ID that was checked with another check mark. I clicked that same selection again (just for the heck of it) and then used the back arrow all the way back out and low and behold--- the upgrading was stopped! Nothing was lost on the phone

Sep 22, 2014 12:42 PM in response to Fat Moses

I had the same problem: iCloud Drive keeps updating forever after upgrading to iOS 8. Very frustrating! Even signed out and logged back to iCloud again, same result... Fortunately I got this fixed :)

I signed out from iCloud (using steps previously described in this discussion). Then I started my Dropbox app. I saw Dropbox was updating for a second (maybe because of the iOS update to version8?). Then I singed in again to iCloud (with merging data). The iCloud Drive was set to "on" almost immediately!!

I expect a lot of people have the Dropbox app installed, so I hope this 'fix' helps other users normally upgrading their iCloud Drive.

Greetings,

David from Amsterdam

iCloud Drive upgrade continuously updating in Settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.