Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Are there known problems with hdmi screen display and iOS 8?

As a teacher I use Keynote in the classroom to augment my teaching. Obviously, it makes sense to create my slides using a Computer over the iPad unless traveling. So when the new iOS8 arrived, I was forced to upgrade in order to keep accessing Keynote online. You can imagine my surprise when after upgrading, I plugged in my HDMI cable to my iPad at the beginning of class and found it no longer works. Can anyone tell me how long I will wait for apple to fix this problem? Should I invest in another solution or go back to the chalkboard?

iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 8, iOS screen output dock HDMI Cable

Posted on Sep 19, 2014 11:21 PM

6 replies

Sep 24, 2014 1:51 AM in response to amlbhj

Same problem here.

I have an iPhone 4s which worked great with the HDMI adapter.

I have read a lot of articles saying how iOS 8 is crashing iPhone 4s, but I didn't have any problems and was enjoying the new OS just fine.

Then I tried to play a movie and had the "incompatable with this device" message.

I immediately reverted back to iOS 7.

I followed the instructions listed below in the link. You may be able to do it too if it's not too late.

Unfortunately, I backed up my iPhone 4s while I had iOS 8 installed, and wasn't able to restore my iPhone 4s with the backup.

iCloud info like contacts and calendar was still intact though, thank goodness.

It was a lot of work to get everything working again, as I use two step authentication on my accounts.

I am kind of glad it happened though, it gave me an opportunity to clean house on the iPhone.

I hope apple fixes this problem pronto, I did like some of the new features on iOS 8, but I need to be able to show my movies off my iPhone.

Here is the link to revert to iOS 7. I hope its not too late for you if the HDMI adapter compatibility is as important to you as it is to me.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/09/17/downgrade-ios-8-to-ios-7/

Sep 24, 2014 2:16 AM in response to Svetti18

It may not still be available, but perhaps they will continue for a while given the reports of iOS 8 problems with earlier iPhones.

When you downgrade, you will be reverted to factory iOS 7.1.2.

You will need to restore from a backup. If your only backup is from a iOS 8 device, it won't be compatible with iOS 7.1.2

iCloud will still be intact (contacts, calenders), but you will have to re-set up your email accounts and whatnot.

If you didn't back up your device with the new iOS 8 installed, you will be in a better place and you will be able to restore from your iOS 7.1.2 (or earlier) backup.

Follow the instructions at this link:

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/09/17/downgrade-ios-8-to-ios-7/

Sep 24, 2014 1:05 PM in response to brownox

JJust saw update for IPad 8.0.1

However, so far, i can't update because it is complaining I am not connected to the Internet But I am. Frustrating.

Regarding the the hdmi connector, it worked but complained that the device was not recognized but downgraded the connection to vga.

I Had a tech person at the college where t teach verified that for me. Just used Apple's Vga adapter and worked.

Are there known problems with hdmi screen display and iOS 8?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.