Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting 3G toggle back in iOS 8 - Solved

All those missing the 3G toggle after updating to iOS 8 - here are some solution to try:

Mostly, everybody updated over the air(OTA) using Wi-Fi, something broke there & quite possibly also missed the included Carrier update.

As iOS 8 is a major jump, try Restoring through iTunes, it works.

You could also download the Firmware(.ipsw) file for your model & use click Shift/Option on Restore in iTunes.

Remember to backup your device in iTunes first.

Another Option is to go to an Authorized Apple Service Center & they will do it for you - tested & works.

You get your 3G toggle back in iOS 8 if your Carrier supports it.

Note : Applicable for users who had 3G toggle under Cellular in iOS 7.1.2 & lost it after updating to iOS 8

iPhone 5c, iOS 7.1.2, Windows 7

Posted on Sep 20, 2014 6:30 AM

74 replies

Sep 20, 2014 6:47 AM in response to Sandeep Roy

The presence of that switch is completely up to the carrier. If it's not there, there is a good reason. Many carriers are in the process of shutting down their EDGE networks entirely to re-use the bandwidth. If you get substandard 3G coverage, complain to your carrier or switch to a carrier that provides decent coverage where you need it.

In the absence of a 3G or LTE signal, the phone will automatically revert to EDGE if an EDGE network exists.

Sep 20, 2014 6:57 AM in response to KiltedTim

I understand where you're coming from, but see my liner in Note - it's already DONE.

In India we don't have LTE - very few Carriers provide it. Users usually switch between 2G/3G as signals are inconsistent.

So something broke during OTA for 8 - the LTE option shouldn't have appeared in the first place for our Carriers.

Thus after speaking with Vodafone & Airtel and subsequently with Apple - the suggested solutions work.

Get with it.

Sep 21, 2014 9:40 AM in response to Cash74

Cash74 wrote:

Hi Sandeep,

I tried as you had suggested by restoring via iTunes but this did not restore the 3G toggle, I still see the "enable LTE" button. Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong ?

Hey Cash,

There are only 2 things i can suggest:

1. Call Apple Authorised Service Centres in your City - they'll help you get you're 3G toggle back for a small fee or free.

2. Restore back to 7.1.2 - i did - as 8 is still buggy

Sep 21, 2014 1:55 PM in response to YGarg

YGarg wrote:

Don't waste time and wait for update to 8.0.

It is a 'bug' at Apple's end and Operators are not involved.

Nobody can fix it but Apple.

I have installed iOS 8.0 2 times (via OTA and iTunes) and both time I has to downgrade this to 7.1.2

Lets wait for iOS '8.0.1' ;-)

yes, we should stay on 7.1.2 & wait for issues to get resolved - as 8 is a major upgrade. previous comment got deleted 😟

Sep 23, 2014 9:42 AM in response to Sandeep Roy

I had upgraded my iPhone 4s and I am getting the option to switch off 3G. Interesting thing is few of them are getting and few not. if that is a carrier patch then it will be same for everyone. It seems to be a glitch in the OS but again ow come the service center able to rectify it. Must be certain files are not getting updated while downloading. I will try to download in my friend handset tonight and check if the claim is correct.

Sep 23, 2014 7:50 PM in response to hossains

hossains wrote:

I had upgraded my iPhone 4s and I am getting the option to switch off 3G. Interesting thing is few of them are getting and few not. if that is a carrier patch then it will be same for everyone. It seems to be a glitch in the OS but again ow come the service center able to rectify it. Must be certain files are not getting updated while downloading. I will try to download in my friend handset tonight and check if the claim is correct.

Yes, that seems to be the case. But for some - now, even that is not working. Totally Confused !!!

Anyway, let us know how it goes.

Getting 3G toggle back in iOS 8 - Solved

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.