Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is, "Motion Calibration" and why is it always running?

I recently upgraded from a 4s to a 6 so a lot of things are new to me. But why is, "Motion Calibration" running 24/7 in Location Services? Won't that nuke my battery?

iPhone 6, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 20, 2014 6:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2015 10:29 PM

I think I might be able to answer this now, although it may be a little late in coming. The reason this setting was introduced was probably not to determine how many steps you take, but to correlate it more specifically to your distance. It must have been introduced when Apple started work on the Watch and realized they couldn't put GPS into it to measure distance running.

Instead, blurbs on Apple's site say that the watch learns what your stride is based on a few runs with your iPhone. Because there is no third-party app the Watch can tap into in order to measure this, this setting must have been placed there in order for a user to be able to have these measurements ready for when they do purchase and pair their Watch with their iPhone. The Watch would then be immediately able to access both walking and running distance that had been measured more accurately by the iPhone for months. If you deactivate it, you can still get a very accurate step count, but the distance is a guesstimate based on your height. With Location Services enabled, Apple can measure distance much better, and this aids the fitness experience in the Apple Watch.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2015 10:29 PM in response to Steve Wallis

I think I might be able to answer this now, although it may be a little late in coming. The reason this setting was introduced was probably not to determine how many steps you take, but to correlate it more specifically to your distance. It must have been introduced when Apple started work on the Watch and realized they couldn't put GPS into it to measure distance running.

Instead, blurbs on Apple's site say that the watch learns what your stride is based on a few runs with your iPhone. Because there is no third-party app the Watch can tap into in order to measure this, this setting must have been placed there in order for a user to be able to have these measurements ready for when they do purchase and pair their Watch with their iPhone. The Watch would then be immediately able to access both walking and running distance that had been measured more accurately by the iPhone for months. If you deactivate it, you can still get a very accurate step count, but the distance is a guesstimate based on your height. With Location Services enabled, Apple can measure distance much better, and this aids the fitness experience in the Apple Watch.

Sep 25, 2014 1:46 PM in response to Steve Wallis

Open up the compass app and recalibrate it. That should prevent motion calibration from using your location too often.

The only features i have enabled under System Services is 'Find my iPhone, Location Based Alerts and Motion Calibration. I also chose not to share my location. You can disable that from Settings/Privacy/Location Services/Share My Location. See if that helps out.

Sep 27, 2014 9:28 AM in response to Steve Wallis

II'm not sure if this is an ios 8 bug or not, but the solution proposed in this thread worked for me:

iPhone 6 Motion Calibration Always Using Location Services

Just turn 'locations services' off and on again and it fixes the problem! It's been doing it all week on my iPhone 6+ but doesn't seem to have had much impact on battery.

I think that when the icon is active this can indicate a wide variety of enabled location services, from full GPS tracking, to just using wifi / cellular signals to get a rough estimate. It could perhaps even have just even been a bug that showed the icon whenever the m8 was active.

anyway, this made the icon go away, and my health kit data is still appearing and being tracked.

What is, "Motion Calibration" and why is it always running?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.