Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 Motion Calibration Always Using Location Services

hi

just received my iphone6 and is updated to ios8.

IVe noticed that the location services was constantly on so went through each item which was enabled for location sharing and disabled one by one. I discovered that under Privacy > Location Services > System Services > Motion calibration was purple. As soon as I disabled it location sharing icon switched off. As soon as i enabled it it came back on again and the purple icon showed up next to motion calibration meaning it was in use.

So my question....what is motion calibration and why is it constantly using location services??

thanks

iPhone 6, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 20, 2014 6:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2017 3:01 PM

CtownClowns wrote:

My SE has been doing this for the last day. Researching it led me here. What does he mean stop worrying about it? LoL. The arrow is purple meaning it's actively being used.

WRONG. It is explained very clearly what a purple arrow means, and it does not mean it is actively being used. Read what it says at the bottom of the Location Services setting:

User uploaded file

"Recently Used" is NOT the same as "Actively being used."

Yes...that drains the battery.

Also wrong. There are anywhere from a dozen to hundreds of apps and functions on your phone (depending on how many apps you have installed) that consume battery. You are focusing on the least likely cause of your battery problem.

The Location Services arrow on my phone's status bar is always displayed, and going to location services I see a total of 24 arrows displayed, and 10 of them are purple (one is a geofence, which DOES continuously actively use Location Services). If Location Services was a major battery drain my battery life would be 15 minutes. Instead, I only really need to charge every 2 - 3 days; if I charge overnight by the end of the day my remaining battery is typically 70%. And I'm a heavy user, with over 250 apps installed.

By paying attention only to one arrow in Location Services you are essentially denying yourself the opportunity to fix your battery issue.

265 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2017 3:01 PM in response to CtownClowns

CtownClowns wrote:

My SE has been doing this for the last day. Researching it led me here. What does he mean stop worrying about it? LoL. The arrow is purple meaning it's actively being used.

WRONG. It is explained very clearly what a purple arrow means, and it does not mean it is actively being used. Read what it says at the bottom of the Location Services setting:

User uploaded file

"Recently Used" is NOT the same as "Actively being used."

Yes...that drains the battery.

Also wrong. There are anywhere from a dozen to hundreds of apps and functions on your phone (depending on how many apps you have installed) that consume battery. You are focusing on the least likely cause of your battery problem.

The Location Services arrow on my phone's status bar is always displayed, and going to location services I see a total of 24 arrows displayed, and 10 of them are purple (one is a geofence, which DOES continuously actively use Location Services). If Location Services was a major battery drain my battery life would be 15 minutes. Instead, I only really need to charge every 2 - 3 days; if I charge overnight by the end of the day my remaining battery is typically 70%. And I'm a heavy user, with over 250 apps installed.

By paying attention only to one arrow in Location Services you are essentially denying yourself the opportunity to fix your battery issue.

Jan 9, 2017 3:59 AM in response to _zulu_

This thread has been quiet for some time now. Well, I came across this "behavior" last Saturday morning. I had never experienced it so I searched in the forums. After resetting network settings and restoring an iTunes backup, the problem was still there. Last thing I did was to reset location and privacy under General - Restore. Now I'm almost sure that this behavior is due to a bad update on any of the apps I have installed on my iPhone 7 Plus. I'm giving permissions each app at a time so I can find which one's to blame. So far the compass icon on the task bar appears and disappears as it used to do a few days ago. All options in System Services are on.

Feb 27, 2017 12:46 AM in response to David9000

Hello,

last month I bought my new Apple Watch S2. They are now running last watchOS 3.1.3. I have paired them with iPhone SE (now on iOS 10.2.1).

After few days of usage I noticed that "Motion and distance calibration" on Location Services > System Location Services is always ON. Even if the phone and Apple Watch are laying on the table during the night and not moving at all. I tried everything - reseting location services, network settings, iPhone restart. Nothing helped.

Then I tried to set iPhone as new and then restore from the original backup. For about 2-3 days the "arrow" next to the Motion and distance calibration was OFF (grey). Yestarday I run the Pillow app (sleep monitoring) for the first time and the MC turned ON and stays like this forever. So I thought some "Fitness" app which I granted access to motion activity (and M8 coprocessor) triggers it and once its ON, it will stay ON forever until iPhone restore. I got 6-7% battery drain from over night from 9 PM to 7 AM, so probably no big deal, but still it bothers me as its not the normal behaviour.

The pattern seems to be like this - after 10.2.1 upgrade, after 2-3 days from iPhone restore the MC turns ON and stays 24/7 ON no matter what.

I am starting to blame the iOS 10.2.1 (+ maybe watchOS 3.1.3) which both were realesed (and I updated both Watch and iPhone) one day later I bought the watch. And 2 days later issues with MC started.

I also got new iPhone SE as replacement, but I can confirm this is not the hardware issue as the problems with MC persist.

Feb 27, 2017 6:00 AM in response to jiricek84

Stop worrying about it. What you see is normal, and has causes no problems with anything on the phone. It doesn't affect battery life, or performance, or anything else.

In addition, there is no way of knowing when any location services setting is using the feature. There is no indication of what is happening NOW. The arrow shows that the feature has used location services in the past 24 hours (grey arrow) or that it has used location services "recently" (purple arrow), or that it is monitoring for a geofence request (Outline).

May 19, 2017 7:43 AM in response to _zulu_

My SE has been doing this for the last day. Researching it led me here. What does he mean stop worrying about it? LoL. The arrow is purple meaning it's actively being used. Yes...that drains the battery. I bought the SE for it's compact size AND great battery life. If I have the power to limit what is tracking me (which Apple allows us) and something doesn't seem right...I will try to figure out. Then I'll decide whether or not to worry about it...

Sep 20, 2014 5:40 PM in response to _zulu_

yes i have the same question, new iphone 6, restored from icloud back-up from my iphone 5, and motion calibration is using location services very frequently. it doesn't appear to be draining my battery to badly, but id just like to know exactly what its doing so i can know whether or not i want to keep it on. turning it off until i know exactly whats its doing.

iPhone 6 Motion Calibration Always Using Location Services

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.