Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Juniper VPN Network Connect silently quits after 10.9.5 update

Network Connect connects fine. Then after 2-3 minutes silently dies. Logs from console:

9/20/14 10:00:26.000 AM kernel[0]: tun: won't unload, tun interfaces did not all completely detach.

9/20/14 10:00:26.000 AM kernel[0]: Kext net.juniper.nke.nctun_tiger did not stop (return code 0x5).

9/20/14 10:00:26.000 AM kernel[0]: Kext net.juniper.nke.nctun_tiger can't unload - module stop returned 0xdc008017.

9/20/14 10:00:26.212 AM configd[18]: network changed: v4(en0!:10.0.1.39) DNS! Proxy+ SMB

I have rebooted. Uninstalled and re-installed the network connect app.

Posted on Sep 20, 2014 8:07 AM

31 replies

Sep 21, 2014 7:43 PM in response to tracheur

I remember having this same exact problem when Mavericks first came out. I found a thread on a citrix forum that had a workaround that changed how or when the arp table was updated and that fixed it back then:

-------

This can be fixed by disabling unicast ARP requests within Mac OS X 10.9. To do this, within Terminal run the following commands:

sudo su
touch /etc/sysctl.conf
echo net.link.ether.inet.arp_unicast_lim=0 >> /etc/sysctl.conf
chown root:wheel /etc/sysctl.conf
chmod 0644 /etc/sysctl.conf

-------

I tried that same fix this time and it didn't correct the issue. Seems like something was changed with network security or something in this OS update?

If anybody has a fix this time it would be greatly appreciated. I use my Mac to VPN for my job. Macs aren't supported at work so I won't get any help form them.

Thanks in advance!

Sep 22, 2014 6:02 AM in response to tracheur

I was experiencing this exact problem. I didn't keep the log info but this is what I experienced: Network Connect working fine before the OSX update. After the OSX update, Network Connect would silently die after exactly 3 minutes. I used Safari as the browser that launches Network Connect. I was able to work around this problem by launching Network Connect with a non-Safari browser (in my case, I used Chrome). Hope this helps!

Sep 23, 2014 3:31 AM in response to Bryan Aylor

I don't know if it applies in this case but the Juniper Network Connect and Host Checker software uses Java. The reason that is relevant is that different browsers behave differently when you (try to) run Java applets in the browser. For example Safari is a 64-bit browser and hence will only run Java applets via a 64-bit Java Runtime Environment. Currently Google Chrome is only a 32-bit browser and hence will only run Java in 32-bit mode. The big problem is that while Java JRE 1.6 was available in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions JRE 1.7 and 1.8 are only available in 64-bit versions on the Mac. Hence If you have installed Java 1.7 then you could not run Java applets in Chrome. With JRE 1.6 being effectively unsupported and riddled with security issues many people have switched to JRE 1.7 and also with many Java applications like Eclipse requiring at least JRE 1.7 this creates a big problem.

Be aware that Google have announced the next version of Chrome for Mac will (finally) be a 64-bit application.

I loathe Juniper's Mac VPN clients, they are nothing but trouble. When setting up a new VPN solution for iOS clients I had the fortunate position of being totally in charge of the project and chose therefore to use a Cisco IPSec compatible server and Apple's own built-in Cisco IPSec client. Apple's client is not perfect in iOS7 it had various bugs and was IKEv1 only but the bugs I was aware of I managed to get round and have been fixed in iOS8 and the client in iOS8 now also supports IKEv2. I avoided Cisco AnyConnect to further avoid compatibility issues. Who wants to bet Cisco AnyConnect is not compatible with iOS8? Ok apologies to Cisco it looks like AnyConnect 3.0.12119 is mostly compatible with iOS8 and was released before iOS8 was. From the release notes there seems to be still one issue and it sounds like it might affect VPN on Demand which would be a deal breaker.

I understand the reasoning behind using Java for SSL VPN clients as this in theory makes it totally deployable via a web URL but this requires enabling Java applets in a web browser which -

1. It is the most insecure approach possible and the one that for Macs at least is these days the leading source of malware
  2. Due to the regular security problems found in Java it is regularly blacklisted by Apple which then completely disables VPN access

I personally feel that using an MDM and the built-in VPN client (like I have) is a more robust solution. It is however perhaps not as Windows friendly. (Oh the irony.)

Sep 24, 2014 9:37 PM in response to changm1

I have the same issue with Network Connect timing out after a few minutes after starting it up from Safari 7.1.

So, I installed Firefox (latest version: 32.0.3) and tried to get the Juniper VPN going. I get the following error message after entering my credentials:

The connection was reset

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

- The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.

- If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.

- If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

I also tried Chrome, but, since I already have JRE 1.7 installed, Chrome can't run 64-bit Java.

Firefox was my best hope. Not sure why that's not working... Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

,,,Paul

Sep 25, 2014 7:50 AM in response to tracheur

I don't know if it helps. But I downgrade my Safari to 7.0.6 and i got NO Luck. It seems to be an MacOS Issue, something similar of what was happening on the past.

If anyone could give me a tip, please help. This is currently giving me a huge headache. Just for consideration I've tried Firefox, Google Chrome Canary, but no Luck.

Firefox displays some kind of security error and Chrome Canary had an error loading one of javascripts.

Oct 2, 2014 8:19 PM in response to bblitzmu

Thank you very much! Juniper VPN Net Connect java applet was disconnecting me between 2min 52sec and 2min 53sec consistently since the Safari upgrade. Thankfully, Google Chrome Canary launched the applet and is keeping me connected. I had tried EVERY Java setting (running java 1.7.0_67, Safari 7.1, OS X 10.9.5 (13F34)) on a MacBook Pro 15-inch mid-2012.

Tried Chrome (no luck since it's still only 32-bit). Firefox wouldn't even TRY to run host checker.

I didn't expect Google Chrome Canary to work -never heard of it - but it works perfectly. Thanks again.

Juniper VPN Network Connect silently quits after 10.9.5 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.