Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I don't have a credit card to create a Child ID. What can I do to create one?

iPhone 5s, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 20, 2014 12:37 PM

6 replies

Apr 19, 2015 4:35 PM in response to pdombrowicki

That's not the point. A credit card with a security code is required to "prove" you are a parent in order to set up a child's account in Family Sharing. You can change your payment method right back, Apple says, to a debit card THAT ALSO HAS A SECURITY CODE. If you are a parent without a credit card you can't access Family Sharing for all family members. Apple doesn't care if you're in debt and don't have a card or have freed yourself from the horrible credit card system. It's crap.

May 11, 2015 7:43 AM in response to pdombrowicki

Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done. This is apparently due to a section in US child protection laws.

Whilst I understand that this is to comply with a specific point of law ... not everyone lives in the US, and even more do not use credit cards, as they are responsible enough to not get into debt.

APPLE: for those of us NOT in the US, can we please get a clarification as to why:

1.Apple is incentivising people having debts;
2.Apple is restricting people with poor credit scores from exercising responsible parental controls, as they are not able to get a credit card;
3.Apple is holding every non-US user to a blunt law that only applies in one of their customer countries.

Mar 8, 2016 5:26 PM in response to pdombrowicki

Just spoke to Apple Support. She said I can create an email address with Yahoo or Gmail and then create the Apple ID using that email address. However, Gmail will not allow it per FTC regulations. Child Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) of 2013 restricts email accounts under age 13. Link to FTC COPPA page here https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/privacy-and-security/children%27 s-privacy.

Back to square one.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.