Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old device shown in iCloud account

I had an iPhone 4s which I have given to my wife, but before I handed it over I switched off find my iPhone and reset the device, but the phone is still showing up under my devices in my iCloud account along with my new phone.

How do I delete it from my account?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), iPhone 6 - 128gb

Posted on Sep 21, 2014 4:06 AM

63 replies

Sep 23, 2014 10:57 AM in response to Matt_M.

Hi Matt

Thanks for trying to help but I have tried everything outlined in the link you provided. If I log in to iCloud.com/#find a map opens up and shows my devices correctly, i.e. my mac & my new phone, but when I am logged in to iCloud and I click on the settings icon a window opens showing 'My Devices' and here it shows my old phone and my new phone with no option to delete.

Sep 24, 2014 2:33 PM in response to George Armfield

Hey George Armfield,

Thanks for the follow up. When you original erased the iPhone, did you happen to sign out of your iCloud account? Or did you only turn of Find my iPhone? — To remove the device from “My Devices” in iCloud, try signing back into the original iCloud account, signing out once more and then refreshing/re-logging into iCloud.com -

iCloud: Change iCloud feature settings

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH2613

Turn off iCloud completely

Depending on whether you want to stop using iCloud on all or only some devices, do one or more of the following:

On your iOS device’s Home screen, go to Settings > iCloud, then at the bottom of the screen, tap Delete Account.

Thanks,

Matt M.

Sep 25, 2014 2:17 AM in response to Matt_M.

Matt

Thanks again. As I said previously I turned off find my phone and deleted all content from the phone. This has now been reactivated with a new account i.e. my wife. My account as not changed so logging out and back in again as no effect.

May I point out that I have been using Apple mac computers since 1988 & iPhone since the very first introduction so am very familiar with the settings etc.

To get back to my problem, the old phone does not show up in the find my phone section of iCloud, it iappears in 'settings', no where else.

George

P.S.

I see that others have had this problem also.

Re: Remove device from "My Devices" list in iCloud.com "Settings"

Sep 26, 2014 6:13 AM in response to Matt_M.

George, I know what you're saying and I have the same issue. I upgraded to the 6 and gave my 5s to a friend. He does not use iCloud and never has. He doesn't have an iCloud account. But with iOS 8, Apple knows the serial number of the iPhone and it was associated with my iCloud account. It appears in the My Devices Settings. I can (and have) easily removed it as a device from the Find My iPhone, but that's not where the device is showing up. Apple does not allow us to delete devices from the My Devices section of iCloud settings. The features of this site were probably received the oversight from the same fellow that did Maps and iOS 8.0.1. Apple overlooked the possibility that we might sell or give an old iPhone to someone else and might want to remove it from our list.

Oct 5, 2014 10:13 AM in response to Ricko75

Ricko75 wrote:

if helps i have the same problem, i too am lost. i do have apple contacting me tomorrow regarding this, so if i manage to solve, ill let you know.

If you still have the old device, set it up as a new device, sign into your iCloud account, then sign out and it will be removed from the signed in device list on iCloud.com. If you no longer have the old device, you'll have to contact Apple support for assistance.

Oct 6, 2014 6:18 AM in response to George Armfield

This is an absurd problem. I have it, too. And it's more than just an annoyance -- if the only effect of it was that some old devices were listed in Settings, I wouldn't mind -- but it breaks two-factor authentication (2FA).

I have 2FA turned on for my account. Find My iPhone properly sees my iPad Air and my iPhone 6 (and my MBP), and nothing else. Yet the list of devices iCloud offers for sending verification codes under 2FA is my iPhone 5 (now sold). and my prior iPad (also long gone)! None of my current devices are offered. Fortunately, it also offers a text to my mobile number as an option -- God forbid I ever change that -- so I can still verify when needed.

So this is a huge problem. I am one lost phone away from being completely locked out of my iCloud account, because Apple is incapable of following what devices I actually still own and offers no way for me to update the list. This despite the fact that all my current devices are right there, properly inventoried in Find My iPhone. Absurd.

Oct 6, 2014 8:25 AM in response to Abraham.G

I also have this issue and NO it will not help to delete the backup! Have talked to Apple support and so far no solution.

Only way I have found to get rid of the unit in "devices" on iCloud was to log on to iCloud with the devise in question and then log out before erasing it.

This does however not help if the device is sold or you have no access to it.

Hope that Apple will come up with a solution so we can remove old devises soon.

Old device shown in iCloud account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.