Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes playcount too high

Hi there. I just downloaded the latest Itunes (for Windows) and updated my Ipod Touch (gen 5) to iOS 8, and now every time I play a song (on my Ipod), the play count won't get updated properly. Listening a song once increases the playcount randomly. Sometimes it increases with 1, but in many cases, it increases with 2, 3 or 5 or even up to 20. I never had this issue before. The playcount was always spot on. Now, it is total trash. Why is this and how can I fix this?

Note: only happens on my Ipod. If I play a song on Itunes itself (on my computer), the playcount increases properly.

Thanks in advance!

Posted on Sep 21, 2014 6:57 AM

157 replies

Feb 22, 2017 5:04 PM in response to Angeltearx

I'm having the same problem. Definitely happens when I sync iphone, but only seems to be multiplying the playcounts of songs I have bought from itunes. Everything else is fine. This is so frustrating. Cannot believe this hasn't been fixed. Has messed up my whole collection. It happened once before, but only to one song, so I was able to delete and reinstate the track. Now its a whole heap of stuff.

Sep 23, 2014 9:06 AM in response to Angeltearx

Hi Angeltearx,

If you are having issues with the playcount not updating correctly on your iPod touch, you may want to try some things to troubleshoot.

First, quit all running applications and test again -

iOS: Force an app to close

Next, I would try restarting the iPod -

Turn your iOS device off and on (restart) and reset

If the issue is still present, you may want to restore the iPod as a new device -

iOS: How to back up your data and set up your device as a new device

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Brett L

Sep 24, 2014 1:28 PM in response to Brett L

Thanks for your reply Brett:

- I tired to quit all running applications and test again: nothing. Didnt changed a thing
- I turning off my iPod and resetting it (both didn't worked)

- I completely restored my iPod by the ''restore iPod'' button in Itunes (when connecting it to my pc). Now everything is gone (did not made any back up just to be sure that I start from scratch with all the original settings and whetever): didn't do nothing.

I stil have the same issue. When investigating the issue I noticed that the first play of a song is correctly processed. It goes like this:

- I add a new song on my iPod (playcount 0)

- I listen the song once (Playcount: 1 after synchronizing)
- I listen the song 2nd time (Playcount: 3)
- I listen the song 3rd time (Playcount 5)
- I listen the song 4rd time (Playcount 10)

- I listen the song 5th time (Playcount 17)

It seems to increase exponentially.

Im sick and tired of this. This all started when I updated iOS to iOS 8. I should never have done that. Please tell me how I can go back to iOS 7, because iOS 8 just seems to break things. I only use my iPod Touch for music, so I don't care about gimmicky health features/apps. I just want it to play music. Properly.

Sep 25, 2014 2:32 AM in response to Angeltearx

I can confirm the frustration of Angeltearx. I discovered the anomaly last night, and checked back through my 'Recently Played' playlist to explore further, and sure enough, the duplication of play counts appears to have occurred since, low and behold, the iOS8 update was applied.

No issues with playing songs through iTunes, and no issues with my trusty iPod Classic. Have yet to explore what it does with my iPad but am unlikely to experiment further until Apple admits there is a problem and issues a fix.

For the record, I took a text export of the playlist I played today, which had all play counts listed. I played 56 songs on my iPhone throughout the day and when I synced with iTunes in the evening, the play counts were curious. About 25 of them added 2 to the play count (i.e. play count was 10, but after the song was played it listed 12) and 20 of them added 3. The rest were fine. I thought it might be the type of files (i.e. MP3, AAC, Purchased from iTunes, etc) but there was no logic to it. They weren't related to a particular artist or album, or a specific time they were played.

In a word, stuffed!

Sep 27, 2014 4:08 AM in response to Angeltearx

I'm having this exact same issue, but with iTunes on a Mac. Otherwise identical, and again it's only happened since the iOS8 update.

It's effectively broken iTunes for me, as I have a load of nested smart playlists driven by play count, date added, last played etc. to give me a new mix of music to take to work each day. Now the play counts are rocketing up way past the true number of plays, so my smart playlists aren't so smart any more.

Oct 1, 2014 11:12 PM in response to Angeltearx

I am having the same issue. I downloaded a song yesterday and have listened to it pretty consistently, however when I synched the first time after downloading it, iTunes reported me having 33 plays (which I thought was overstated, but I had been listening to it on repeat). I listened to it 2 more times, and the play count jumped to 57. I cleared my play count entirely for this song, shut my computer down, shut my iPhone down, and rebooted everything. Play count went as follows:

Play 1 - play count 1

Play 2 - play count 30

Play 3 - play count 97

Like what???

Oct 2, 2014 5:40 PM in response to Brett L

I too have noticed this problem since updating to ios 8.0 series. It is a nuisance as I rely on accurate play counts to update my smart playlists. Apple are getting very sloppy of late. Given that we pay a premium for the privilege of using their products the least they can do is get it right. Any idea when they plan to put this right?

Oct 3, 2014 6:55 AM in response to Angeltearx

Add me to this list of frustrated users. I don't think the play count issue is limited only to the iOS 8 release. This issue was also present in iOS 7. I have reported this issue numerous times, there doesn't seem to be a logical explanation for which songs apply the exponential increase in play counts. No one at Apple seems to prioritize this issue. I suppose they'll get to it some day, but this should be a no brainer fix.

Itunes playcount too high

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.