Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6, bad signal strength

I got new iPhone 6 yesterday. I am with Rogers. Used to get all 5 signals on my old iPhone 4S. But iPhone 6 shows just 2 or 3 signal bars on LTE/3G.

I am not sure if this is something wrong with my iPhone 6 hardware, is somebody also experiencing the same problem?

iPhone 6, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 21, 2014 9:54 AM

27 replies

Sep 21, 2014 11:55 AM in response to Kamran Calgary

Unless you are experiencing dropped calls more frequently in fringe areas I wouldn't be too concerned about the signal indicator. it could just be the way the signal meter is calibrated. It could be your old phones were over optimistic displaying signal strength or vice versa. I've noticed there's a difference between my 4 and 5S's meter but neither are any better or worse at picking up or dropping calls. I often travel in rural areas of southern Alberta and haven't noticed any difference. I'm on Bell.

Oct 4, 2014 12:26 AM in response to Kamran Calgary

Look at your Iphone 6 and look to see if it says "3G" or "LTE" beside the Rogers/Telus/Bell carrier name. If you just see the upward "brackets" beside the carrier name, turn off or disconnect from Wifi to see the "carrier band". If it says LTE, that's probably why your signal strength is lower. Your old Iphone4 never supported the higher speed LTE bands. The LTE bands increase speeds for web browsing/data, but also consume more battery power, and do not "carry" as far as the 3G signal, hence the lower signal. If you want better signal strength, and were happy with the data/internet speeds on your Iphone4/4S, go into your settings, then click cellular, then Turn off the "enable LTE" slider. Your phone should lose service momentarily, then switch back to the 3G band. This will usually give you all around better signal strength, but with the same data speeds of your old phone. The reason for this is that there are more 3G towers than LTE ones, and the LTE band for the most part uses a Frequency band that doesn't "carry" as far as the 3G Band. Also, unfortunately all cellular phones are designed to connect to the "fastest" network by default.....ie LTE over 3G, even if the signal strength is worse. An example of this is when I'm at my Parents house. I will have one bar of LTE, but four bars of 3G if I turn LTE off.

PS, remember to turn back on your WIFI once you are done this.

Oct 27, 2014 4:38 AM in response to Kamran Calgary

I have iPhone 6 with iOS 8.1. I commute every day for 40min from home to work and back, and there are two places in the route that I know have very low signal coverage and are a very good test for mobile phones antennas reception.

With my previous iPhone 5s, in these two places during a call it happened to lose some voice samples, but the call was never dropped.

With the iPhone 6 the calls are always dropped in both places.

I don't look at signal bars because they are only a signal indicator, but the dropped calls are a clear fact that the iPhone 6 reception is worse.

Also the iPhone 4s was worse than the 5s but better than 6 because it lost many samples, the voice became metallic, but very seldom did the calls drop completely.

Unfortunately with the 6 dropped calls are a certainty.

Oct 29, 2014 1:20 PM in response to Kamran Calgary

I have the same issue with my iPhone 6. I upgraded from the 4S and was looking forward to a much faster phone. Since the signal reception is so poor, I see very little improvement in download speeds unless I'm in an area that I can get a strong LTE signal. I don't care how many bars are showing, but when my wife is texting and on the web with her 4S and I have "No Service", it's frustrating to say the least. BTW, I'm on AT&T, but it seems like people are having this issue on all carriers. Any hope for a fix?

Nov 13, 2014 8:05 PM in response to Kamran Calgary

I just bought an iPhone 6+64 gig unit on 11-13-2014 Two hours after owning it I realized there was a problem with the signal strength for voice and could not connect to Wi-Fi. This iPhone 6+ had the OLD original release of the ISO8 and needed to upgraded. That fixed the Wi-Fi problem but I'm still having the issue of the low signal on the voice. My 5s that is running iOS8 has full 5 dots when the iphone6 drifts in and out from 1 to 4 dots when the 5s has 5 dots a very good signal strength for voice and I have never a problem with the 5s on voice or connecting to Wi-Fi. So I got a believe that there may be an engineering issue with the iPhone 6. I'm going to use it for 10 days and if Apple or Verizon can not resolve the problem then I will return the phone and try again in about 3 months. If the problem still exists I will by another phone. Anyone having this issue?

Nov 14, 2014 9:28 AM in response to Kamran Calgary

I have a Verizon iPhone 6 seem to be having the same issues I actually get switched from LTE to 3G to 1x sometimes I usually turn on Airplane mode then shut it off to get it to come back. I've had a couple call issues as well. Do other carriers or phone models having this issue have the option to use LTE for "voice & data"? Wondering if the issue could be related to this newer option. I just turned switched mine from "data only" to "voice & data", so far I'm seeing better LTE reliability.

Nov 19, 2014 9:21 PM in response to Kamran Calgary

I have the same problem. I had an iPhone 4s and used Straight Talk and had great reception in my house. Now upgraded to an iPhone 6 and can't make a call or text from my house. Can only text to other people who have iPhones. Or go out on my deck and text anyone else. This was not a problem with the 4s. I have the exact same Straight Talk service on my 6 as I did on my 4s. The wif eventually picks up on some of the very close signals. It takes a LONG time and I have found it is best to power the phone off and restart it. Apple needs to recall the phones if it is a hardware issue or fix it if it is a software issue immediately as I am growing very impatient considering that I paid a lot of money for this factory unlocked phone.

Nov 25, 2014 10:56 AM in response to Kamran Calgary

I Have the same issue. Used the 4, 4g, 5, 5S all in same location for years and no issues. the 6plus I get complaints all the time about how receptiin is bad. Only show 2 dots most the time. Always had the 4G and or LTE signal on 5S in same areas I sit, travel, work, etc. the signal strength is terrible compared to all the past phones.

MY phone is in excellent shape as I take great care of all my Apple products. It is NOT any user related issue. It has to be within the phone build somewhere somehow. This MUST get fixed as I love the large phone being 6'8" tall. Finally get the large phone and have to go back to 5S for signal strength.

Still have the 5S as I txfrd to my wife. Excellent signal on 5S (4 dots LTE - showing) as I sit here in same spot with my IPhone 6plus which is only 2 dots And no LTE.

Frustrated Apple user!!

Jan 4, 2015 7:05 PM in response to cdmrob

After going through endless threads, calls to ATT, resetting network settings on iphone I still couldn't find a resolution and threw in the towel. My GF asked me if I have downloaded any app in last few days that might have caused the issue. At first I curled up the idea in disdain but I remember updating few apps.

Voila, I deleted the google search app and the problem resolved at least on my phone. No bad reception or dropped calls.

Please note that I have a iPhone5s not iPhone 6.

Feb 9, 2015 7:43 PM in response to RadicalRightWinger

An update. I took my phone in to the Apple Store and they changed it out for another. We kept the new one stripped down to nothing. No apps with exception of what is on the 6 when you get it. Only updated my contacts and calendar. I got the phone home and it's exactly the same as the last. Bad reception when other people with iPhone 4s's have no problems and they are using the same carrier in the same location.

iPhone 6, bad signal strength

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.