Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 "Restoring from iCloud Backup" forever

Hi folks,

My iPhone 6 spent many hours retrieving my apps when I first set it up; in fact the next morning I had to coax it along by tapping on a few of the not-yet-downloaded apps in order to get them to fully download. But I think they're all here now, and all my data seems to have arrived as well. (This was all via WiFi, not through a cable to iTunes.)

BUT

The iPhone continues to say "Restoring from iCloud Backup." It's been two days so far. This morning I plugged the phone into and used iTunes to trigger an iCloud backup. (No backups had occurred with this phone yet, and I feared they never would be since the phone thinks it's in restore mode.)

Even after my backup was complete, the phone STILL says "Restoring from iCloud Backup."

Help?

Posted on Sep 21, 2014 10:33 AM

189 replies

Feb 4, 2017 4:37 AM in response to vcoffman09

Hi, having the same issue restoring my replacement 6s+ (water damage) from iCloud backup. After 12 days(!) of restoring, I found this forum. Tried turning off Find my iPhone, no luck. Unable to use iTunes because my last year's worth of backups were all on the cloud via wi-fi. Was unwilling to stop the restore because I didn't want to lose anything.

Then I found your post! I opened each app you suggested (Pages, Keynote and Numbers), and VOILÀ!!! Restore FINISHED! I can finally do a backup and update to iOS 10.2.1. Thank you!!!

Jul 21, 2017 4:06 AM in response to Yefchak

I also had this problem - I had my phone stolen so when I got my replacement handset I had to restore from previous icloud back up (which had luckily been the night before my phone got stolen). I did the restore and updated the software over wifi from the cloud. It took a couple of hours for my phone to start up and all my apps etc were back. I have an iphone 7, 128GB and have over 7000 photos and nearly 1000 songs so it took ages to completely restore (about 48 hours) I had to move the music downloads along several times by going into my itunes purchased and tapping download all - not on this phone. This morning I checked the status of my music and it had all dowloaded but in icloud back up, it still said restoring. I thought I would turn off my device and back on again and as soon as it restarted a message came up saying that Uber app couldn't be downloaded, I clicked Done and then went back in the app store to my purchased apps and clicked on the cloud icon next to the uber app and voila it started downloading and once complete the restore had finished!... Always worth turning it off and on again!!

Nov 4, 2017 7:44 AM in response to vcoffman09

This fixed it!!! I had to undo a few additional things:

I went under settings and looked at all the programs that were backing up to iCloud and unchecked all the ones i never used:

-Keynote

-Pages

-Numbers

-Game Center

-Garageband

-any other app that was an apple default App

I opened each of the apps, and then made sure to deselect the backup to icloud. As soon as I did this, my phone completed the iCloud restore that had been going on for three weeks!

Nov 4, 2017 9:49 AM in response to Mpkrell

It was hard to find, but I had two or three older apps with their icons gray in a folder and it took a while to find them, touch them and start loading. When they all loaded the phone completed the restore from cloud. I noticed weird behavior with app icons disappearing and reappearing, and at the end some failed to appear after completing. I can now backup.

Nov 5, 2017 12:55 AM in response to Yefchak

I had a similar problem with a new iPhone 7 about a week after it was set up. Up til them, it all worked fine, with a good restore from my old iPhone's iCloud backup.

When I first tried an iOS update (from 11.0.3 to 11.1), I got the "you can install this update when your iPhone is finished restoring from the iCloud backup" error. Turning "Find my iPhone" off fixed the problem (per Vestrank's earlier post).

Dec 12, 2017 6:46 PM in response to Yefchak

I had a similar experience. I got a new replacement iphone 7 with the updated iOS 11 system. It took several hours for all the apps to be restored and many were stuck at "loading" for a really long time, even very simple apps like the apple movie app where I have nothing in it. What worried me was that Whatsapp was stuck forever and the loading pie icon was only half loaded. I tried restarting the phone, and doing the restore 3 times, each time the apps were taking forever and whatsapp was still stuck at 50%. I used my office wifi. 6 hours later I went home and tried to do the restore again, it took 2-3 hours before everything finally got restored (including whatsapp. I tried deleting and reinstsalling the app which didnt work either and upon resinstalling they claim I didnt have an icloud backup, so relied on the icloud restoring process instead). I am not sure if it is the wifi but my office only has around 20 people at one time.

Sep 22, 2014 1:52 PM in response to Yefchak

I'm with you so far. What I wanted to know is what happened next. Did you plug the iPhone 5 into iTunes on your computer and back-up and then plug your iPhone 6 into the computer and restore. OR did you back-up your iPhone 6 into iTunes on your computer and then restore the iPhone 6 in iTunes using your computer. I promise this will be the last time I will ask for clarification 🙂

iPhone 6 "Restoring from iCloud Backup" forever

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.