Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home button issues after iOS 8 update

Has anyone experienced problems with their home button after the iOS 8 update? When I am trying to exit an app using the home button I press it once, but then the iPhone acts as if I have pressed it twice quickly and brings me to the "multitasking screen". It doesn't always do this error, but it is not uncommon and it is very annoying. It never did this before the iOS 8 update. I may try to just restore the iPhone but first I want to see if anyone else is having the same problems or has any suggestions how to fix it. Thanks!!

~Rich

iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted on Sep 21, 2014 1:13 PM

28 replies

Sep 22, 2014 5:40 AM in response to rich|rich

Not sure if you remember, but on previous iPhones you can reset your home button by doing this:

>Open your Stocks App

>while there, press & hold the power button as if you're about to turn the device off

>once the "slide to power off" screen pops up, stop pressing the power button and press & hold the home button. Your screen may flash a couple times but it should return to your apps screen (or home screen, w/e screen you were at before) and the Stocks App should close. Supposedly this resets the home button

OR

go into your Accessibility setting under General and set your "Home-click speed" to default. That setting may have changed when you updated.

Let me know if this works...

Danny

iOS 8 iPhone 6

Sep 24, 2014 6:42 AM in response to rich|rich

So I have restored my phone. I did back-up and restore settings as part of my restore. As it was a restore, I did lose all my downloaded apps. However, I have been using the iPhone the past couple hours and it seems to have fixed the issue. I was getting problems with the home button very frequently so I should have seen the bug by now if it was still a problem.

So short version answer, as annoying as restoring your iPhone is, it seems to have fixed the home button issue for me.

Now to download my favorite apps one by one, again.

Sep 30, 2014 9:17 AM in response to rich|rich

Forget what I said. The problem is still there. I don't think it's hardware as the only thing that changed between it not working well was the iOS 8 update. I now have 8.0.2 installed and I am still having problems with the home button. It acts like I am double clicking it when really I am just hitting it once. So annoying. It was mentioned that installing the newest iOS has fixed it for some people, but it hasn't for me. So once again, if anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it.

Oct 4, 2014 11:21 PM in response to rich|rich

I have been having this same issue with the home button on iPhone 4s and at first I thought it was because my phone was junk so I was about to take it, throw it on the ground and stomp on it into tiny little pieces. Instead, I decided to try and see if anyone else was having this issue...and wow it seems like everyone is so I looked for a solution and found this...and this worked for me!!!

1. Close all open aps. Open up weather ap. Or stock ap. or any standard ap that came with device. I used weather ap.

2. While that ap is open...Hold the lock screen button until "slide to power off" appears.

3. When the "slide to power off" appears, hold that pesky HOME button down until the ap closes and you return to home screen.

This is a calibration technique that I pulled off of ios8release.com and fixed my problem so I hope it works for you guys! I hit the home button once now and return home and when I hit it twice, it brings up the multitasking screen. No more glitches. No more frustration. hope this helps.

Home button issues after iOS 8 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.