Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8 download failing repeatedly

Downloading of iOS 8 to my iPad has failed at least six times, now possibly more. Is this because so many are trying to download at the moment (September 21)? Or is there something I need to do on my end. I have screen lock set to "never," though it was my impression that screen lock should not interfere with OS downloads.

iPad, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Sep 21, 2014 3:38 PM

35 replies

Sep 21, 2014 3:47 PM in response to EricWeir

If you are trying to download the update directly on the device OTA, there really isn't anything that you could be doing wrong on your end. Have you tried resetting your iPad by holding down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time until the Apple logo appears on the screen and then let go of the buttons?

DId you try resetting your router by unplugging it from power for about 30 seconds? Sometimes that helps reestablish the connection to the server and hold onto it.

Have you considered using iTunes on your Mac? IIRC, you are a Mac user. I just updated my wife's iPhone 5S using iTunes and it took less than 15 minutes to download and install. Granted, she has very little content on her phone but the download and update of the device took very little time.

Sep 22, 2014 2:39 AM in response to Demo

Thanks, I take it you're in Pittsburgh. Might you be the guy I spoke to here not long after buying my iPad? I don't remember what the issue was. It might have been something related to spellcheck that's different in iOS from OS X. Whatever, you---or whoever, if not you---told me that you didn't use a keyboard, that you got along fine with the virtual keyboard. And so have I ever since, about a year and a half ago.

A new download attempt is underway now. When it fails---it will fail---I'll try your first two suggestions. If that doesn't improve the situation I'll be interested in learning more about the third option.

Regards,

Eric Weir

Sep 22, 2014 4:30 AM in response to Demo

I thought so. I'm a Penn Hills guy, too, though I think earlier than you. I graduated in 1959.

Anyway, as expected, the download that was underway when I wrote last failed. I'll try your first two suggestions, and if that fails inquire about the third.

I don't remember the year, sometime in the 70's, Penn Hills won the state championship, Pitt---from which I graduated in 1965---won the national championship, and the Steelers won the Super Bowl. The trifecta of football for Penn Hills and Pitt graduates.

Sep 22, 2014 4:53 AM in response to EricWeir

If the download continues to fail, post back with any error messages, or a blow by blow description of what happens when you go through the process.

I would imagine that the year of that trifecta would have ben 1976. You have a few years on me. I Graduated in 1971. I was in school during the George Karl basketball days. Penn Hills had great basketball teams in those days.

Sep 22, 2014 5:34 AM in response to EricWeir

I just can't fathom why the update will not download. I can't believe that the servers are that busy now. Anyway, it is very easy to update using iTunes, basically you connect the device to your computer, launch iTunes and you should be alerted that there is an update available for the device.

This article explains it. You have to go about halfway down to read the part about using iTunes.

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch iOS software

Sep 22, 2014 5:39 AM in response to Demo

I found instructions on the web. Updating via iTunes is now underway.

I gather from some of the things I read when I did a Google search about updating iOS via iTunes that the problem has generally been storage limitations, but my iPad has 20 Gb of available storage. So the problem must have been something else.

Judging from my experience with the new editor on my iPhone, I think relying on the virtual keyboard on the iPad is going to be even easier than previously. I also gather that there is now support for third-party keyboards. I'll be interested to see what becomes available. There is a plethora of alternative keyboards for Android. I'm hoping there'll be one that will make it possible to install a useable copy of Vim on iOS 8 devices.

Sep 22, 2014 6:22 AM in response to EricWeir

You are experiencing the update from h*e*l*l, unfortunately. But don't necessarily believe that time estimate is correct. Let's hope it doesn't take that long. You don't run antivirus software on your computer do you? You are a Mac user correct?

There are a number of third party keyboards popping up in the App Store, - no pun intended - but be careful about which ones you download. Take a look here.

http://www.macdrifter.com/2014/09/ios-8s-new-key-logger.html

Sep 22, 2014 3:40 PM in response to EricWeir

An hour into the first attempt at downloading via iTunes I left home without the notebook plugged in to a power supply. Came home to find that the battery had run dry and the download had halted. Restarted it about an hour ago. iTunes is telling me there are only 34 hours to go.

Again, is this a problem on my end or is something else going on? I assume the numbers iTunes is giving me are inaccurate. Even still, the situation is a bit on the absurd side.

iOS 8 download failing repeatedly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.