Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After IOS 8 update, bookmark bar won't go away

After upgrading to IOS 8 on my iPad 2, in landscape mode in Safari, the bookmarks bar, now combined with links and "Reading List", won't go away. I believe it is supposed to go away when you select one of the functions, such as bookmark, so that the tab turns blue, then hit it again. It doesn't. I can turn it to portrait mode to make it go away, but I'd like to use landscape mode without losing a third of the screen to bookmarks.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Sep 23, 2014 8:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2017 11:06 AM

Hi nofixedadress. You hide the side bookmarks by tapping the upper bookmark icon, next to the address bar. It is annoying that it doesn't disappear automatically after selecting an item, but that's how it works. If that doesn't help, please describe your exact problem, what you're trying to do and how it fails. Please include your device model and iOS version.

46 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2017 11:06 AM in response to nofixedadress

Hi nofixedadress. You hide the side bookmarks by tapping the upper bookmark icon, next to the address bar. It is annoying that it doesn't disappear automatically after selecting an item, but that's how it works. If that doesn't help, please describe your exact problem, what you're trying to do and how it fails. Please include your device model and iOS version.

May 28, 2017 12:00 PM in response to Diana.McCall

Hello , unfortunately that doesn't work with an iPhone 7 , there is no upper bookmark icon you can tap on . The only way it disappears is to go in Settings-Display & Brightness- view and then choose zoomed instead of Standard . Now it's gone , but all your apps etc are now bigger and zoomed ... maybe there is another solution? Until now I only found this one .

May 28, 2017 4:08 PM in response to nofixedadress

Hi nofixedadress,

I had the same problem and here is how I fixed it. When I have safari open and I turn my phone sideways, the bookmark bar appears on the side. I then clicked the icon that looks like a book to the left of my address bar and the bookmarks side bar went away. (Notice that it is highlighted in picture one and not in picture two)

After IOS 8 update, bookmark bar won't go away

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.